• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster

IndoMike

This is a City Council initiative and I question the motive behind it. When I last looked at Exeter City’s Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment several years ago it was apparent to me that there are now no sites remaining within the City Council boundaries that could be large enough or suitable enough to enable a new stadium to be built. Similarly (as per the main purpose of SHLAA) there is a great shortage of land for future housing projects. Could it be that the Council have now recognised this shortage and would now be willing to buy us out of St. James’ Park in order to provide for future housing capacity? When I was a Steering Group member of the Drivers Jonas Report back in 2007, the City Council would give us no assurance that the potential sale proceeds of SJP would be passed over to the Club to effect a new stadium build or a buy into the Rugby Club. Are they now having a change of heart?
The granting of a new 25 year lease is a major asset for the Club (it would have been a bigger asset if the Trust had acquired the freehold!!). However the lease is still a major asset which is saleable back to the Council within that 25 year period. The proceeds of the sale of the land to a developer for housing use could ensure that the Council would give us a fair price towards a new stadium build. The Council itself would gain from grants given for new housing build, so I would expect the full proceeds of a sale to be passed over to us.
It is imperative that the Trust/Club acquires the freehold of the St. James’ Centre so that the whole package of the land from the Fountains Centre car park (which the Club effectively owns) is available to sell to a developer at the same time that the Council sells the rest of SJP.
I have always maintained that it would be cost effective for a new stadium to be built opposite the training ground. With the shortage of land within the City Council boundaries, could a Boundary Extension be feasible in the near future? It would certainly be helpful if said extension extended as far as the training ground!
Am I wrong in thinking that SJP land must be dedicated to sports activities?

WXF

Am I wrong in thinking that SJP land must be dedicated to sports activities?
Yes, but the Council can change that. I agree with RW about the St James Centre.

IndoMike

Yes, but the Council can change that. I agree with RW about the St James Centre.
I'm a bit out of it regarding the ins and outs of the land at SJP so I'll leave it to you guys to talk about that.

Dannyred

I think it’s further down the line than just looking into it.

denzel

This is a City Council initiative and I question the motive behind it. When I last looked at Exeter City’s Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment several years ago it was apparent to me that there are now no sites remaining within the City Council boundaries that could be large enough or suitable enough to enable a new stadium to be built. Similarly (as per the main purpose of SHLAA) there is a great shortage of land for future housing projects. Could it be that the Council have now recognised this shortage and would now be willing to buy us out of St. James’ Park in order to provide for future housing capacity? When I was a Steering Group member of the Drivers Jonas Report back in 2007, the City Council would give us no assurance that the potential sale proceeds of SJP would be passed over to the Club to effect a new stadium build or a buy into the Rugby Club. Are they now having a change of heart?
The granting of a new 25 year lease is a major asset for the Club (it would have been a bigger asset if the Trust had acquired the freehold!!). However the lease is still a major asset which is saleable back to the Council within that 25 year period. The proceeds of the sale of the land to a developer for housing use could ensure that the Council would give us a fair price towards a new stadium build. The Council itself would gain from grants given for new housing build, so I would expect the full proceeds of a sale to be passed over to us.
It is imperative that the Trust/Club acquires the freehold of the St. James’ Centre so that the whole package of the land from the Fountains Centre car park (which the Club effectively owns) is available to sell to a developer at the same time that the Council sells the rest of SJP.
I have always maintained that it would be cost effective for a new stadium to be built opposite the training ground. With the shortage of land within the City Council boundaries, could a Boundary Extension be feasible in the near future? It would certainly be helpful if said extension extended as far as the training ground!
So you would like a stadium outside of the City of Exeter, with no access by rail and with most traffic having to negotiate a roundabout and motorway junction already over capacity?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you would like a stadium outside of the City of Exeter, with no access by rail and with most traffic having to negotiate a roundabout and motorway junction already over capacity?
Yes, when all aspects are taken into account, particularly additional income generating facilities. It seems others at the Club are now thinking along the same lines.

Dannyred

Yes, when all aspects are taken into account, particularly additional income generating facilities. It seems others at the Club are now thinking along the same lines.
it’s been rumoured for a little while about a new stadium in Topsham.

tavyred

My perception maybe well off, but I’ve got it my head that the Chiefs, the city council and City are thick as thieves at the moment and that perhaps collectively they see both sporting clubs sharing the same stadium and maybe even the same training facilities at the cliff.

Boyo

My perception maybe well off, but I’ve got it my head that the Chiefs, the city council and City are thick as thieves at the moment and that perhaps collectively they see both sporting clubs sharing the same stadium and maybe even the same training facilities at the cliff.
Ha. I'd been thinking the same, but didn't want to poke the hornets nest! All roads lead to Sandy Park. Having two professional stadiums in a small City like Exeter is silly. Replace the temporary seating stand at Sandy Park with our new Stagecoach stand and the stadium is looking smart.

Cue hornets...