• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bristol City, Reading and Swansea are all ground sharing with rugby this season, I believe. Saries were at Watford but now have the own stadium, similarly Wasps were at Wycombe but now have their own ground.

Incidentally, Coventry City played at the Rioch Arena but never owned it. It was owned by a private third party. Wasps then purchased the ground from the third party. Cov City have not been able to agree a rental agreement with Wasps, hence have had to ground share with Northampton and Brum City recently.
So that makes Reading FC, Reading Womens team and a Rugby Team all playing at the Madejski? How's that work then?

jimbo-gould

Somewhere on the edge of the city, within 1/2 a mile of a train station gets my vote. Where that spot is, I’ve no idea.

Reactions: GJW

Boyo

So that makes Reading FC, Reading Womens team and a Rugby Team all playing at the Madejski? How's that work then?
I thought Irish still played at Reading. Didn’t realise that Irish now share with Brentford.

iscalad

There was talk, back in the 70s, of multi purpose stadium for football, speedway an rugby out near Bamford Speke.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok I'll bite. What rumour of Topsham?
The one that he started (won't be able to provide links or anything) like the businesses waiting to invest in the club when it is better run, like most of what he spouts has no foundation.

Benguin

I think it is prudent to be part of the negotiations.

However, any new build is likely to be a pretty bog standard affair with characterless small stands. Think more Salford City than Brantford's new stadium.

We will never get a terrace like the bank and the mantra I repeat to myself on a regular basis is “be careful what you wish for.” Also the idea of losing the city centre locations saddens me.

In terms of sharing with the Chiefs,I think hell would freeze over before they share the revenue from their substantial non match date facilities with City. I think that increasing those revenues is the main benefit of a move so don’t see this groundshare as a viable option.

Dannyred

Ok I'll bite. What rumour of Topsham?
That was a rumour a couple of years ago that the club were looking at the possibility of a new stadium in Topsham as that was the only possible site within the city boundaries.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about upgrading the Cliff Hill training ground to a stadium ?
UTC

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Don't ECC boundaries finish at the m5 ? Anything happening east of that would involve East Devon DC.

iscalad

What about upgrading the Cliff Hill training ground to a stadium ?
UTC
We don't own it