• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
There will always be success stories and failures. Having a shiny new stadium with a nandos and primark next door is no guarantee of success.

i8cornwall

I don't think we should derail the thread by reheating the 'where the women's team should play' argument, although accept that one of the reasons against (pitch wear) would disappear!
That part was more of a sly dig at Danny to be honest.

Boyo

Or you could say the 20 Million New York Stadium where city played a few years ago, whatever happened to Rotherham United ?
We don't have £20m to build a stadium.

I also suspect that the cost of land purchase in Rotherham, is a fraction of the equivalent space in Exeter.

Last edited:

cannockred

Or you could say the 20 Million New York Stadium where city played a few years ago, whatever happened to Rotherham United ?
The old millmoor ground was right in the centre of town and was sold for housing. That paid for the majority of the New York stadium which was built on brown belt land that the council paid to decontaminate . That ground cost rotherham next to nothing.
I am sure that if we owned sjp we would be able to afford a £20 million stadium by selling it for housing. It's called enabling development.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The old millmoor ground was right in the centre of town and was sold for housing. That paid for the majority of the New York stadium which was built on brown belt land that the council paid to decontaminate . That ground cost rotherham next to nothing.
I am sure that if we owned sjp we would be able to afford a £20 million stadium by selling it for housing. It's called enabling development.
Not according to this:

In May 2008, Rotherham United were forced to leave Millmoor after talks with Ken Booth, owner of Millmoor, broke down.[6] The team played at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield until 2012, when the club moved into a new community stadium back in Rotherham.
Despite this, Millmoor remains in existence more than a decade after the football club's departure and has been used for other sports purposes

Also has been used for local football too. Please note: This is from Wiki and i see the date when it says they went into their new stadium was 2012, I'm sure it wasn't that long ago?

tavyred

We don't have £20m to build a stadium.

I also suspect that the cost of land purchase in Rotherham, is a fraction of the equivalent space in Exeter.
The club doesn't need to own the ground or be in possession of £20m to move to a new stadium.
As I referenced to you yesterday, Colchester United in cahoots with its landlord Colchester Borough Council moved to a new stadium a few years back.

DB9

The club doesn't need to own the ground or be in possession of £20m to move to a new stadium.
As I referenced to you yesterday, Colchester United in cahoots with its landlord Colchester Borough Council moved to a new stadium a few years back.
And there you have it, A local Council that wants a piece of land (Colchester United FC's Layer Road) for obviously much needed housing, Worked with the football club to find a location to house a new stadium (Whether people like its location is irrelevent) and built one. Perhaps a long standing problem with us in Exeter is the relationship with the club and Council, If they really wanted SJP to redevelop then they would be more pro-active in finding a site. PS, Until we have the need for a new stadium i'm totally in favour of staying at SJP but in the end that decision maybe out of our hands since we don't own it.

tavyred

And there you have it, A local Council that wants a piece of land (Colchester United FC's Layer Road) for obviously much needed housing, Worked with the football club to find a location to house a new stadium (Whether people like its location is irrelevent) and built one. Perhaps a long standing problem with us in Exeter is the relationship with the club and Council, If they really wanted SJP to redevelop then they would be more pro-active in finding a site. PS, Until we have the need for a new stadium i'm totally in favour of staying at SJP but in the end that decision maybe out of our hands since we don't own it.
Yep.
It doesn't take too much imagination to envisage a scenario where the club is told politely by its landlord "sorry guys, your time at SJP is up, but here's a new site and we'll build a new stadium for you there".

Boyo

Thanks, I missed that. From wiki:

"The Council had backed the £14.23 million stadium by taking out a £10.23 million loan. At this point, the petition had also gathered over 30,000 signatures.[21] The remaining £4 million came in the form of grants from the Football Foundation and local government and development agencies."

Also interesting to see the other uses for the stadium:

"Utilising the space of the Layer and Centennial suites, the stadium also plays host to a range of other activities, including conferences, banqueting, weddings, parties and events. The stadium features a 600 space car park and hosts boxing dinners, darts opens, comedy nights, tribute band nights, fashion shows, award ceremonies and proms.[33]

The stadium was used as an open-air music venue for the first time on 29 June 2014 when Sir Elton John played his first ever Colchester concert.[34][35] The event had a capacity of around 16,500.[36] Lionel Richie performed in an open air setting in June 2016 as part of his All The Hits tour.[37] An audience of 17,000 watched local singer Olly Murs perform on 10 June 2017 in the stadiums third open-air concert.[38]"

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep.
It doesn't take too much imagination to envisage a scenario where the club is told politely by its landlord "sorry guys, your time at SJP is up, but here's a new site and we'll build a new stadium for you there".
Maybe, in 25 years time - the Council recently gave ECFC a new lease for that period.

I'll be 92 then so am not worried about this.