• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

My Football Club.

contrabombarde

Do I choose my football club or does my club choose me?

I am starting this thread as I see that the Torquay thread is getting bogged down with this subject and how people have become passionate about their club has always interested me and it has also intrigued me as to how people become involved in a certain club, often for life or sometimes flirting with other clubs.

I believe that there are many reasons for becoming a dedicated fan. Is it a tribal thing and therefore are we also flying the flag for our beloved City? Or is it genetic in that our father took us for our first match and then we were hooked?

I was born in Yorkshire and as a boy supported Sheffield Wednesday and then moved to Exeter and have spent most of my life here. I first watched City in 1973 and have been a lifelong fan ever since. I was never more pleased than when City beat Wednesday so in my case it’s obviously not a “roots”
thing.

I have now retired to Norfolk and have seen the odd match at Kings Lynn but there is no way that I would ever call myself a fan or want to stop supporting Exeter.

One further point intrigues me and that is the so called plastic fans. I really don’t get it. My daughter and son in law are avid Liverpool fans and yet as far as I know have never watched a live match or even visited Liverpool. The Liverpool tat that my Grandson owns is beyond belief.

It would be interesting to have some other views.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Born and bred in Exeter and still here :) - always loved sport Cricket was my playing sport football my supporting sport -Spurs were my top level team and still follow them but City are my team through and though it is in the blood now and can never ever be given up.
Attended first game in early 70's (can't remember exactly when or who against which annoys me - possibly Bury ?) when I went with my Cousin. When my cousin stopped going I continued and been ever since. Started on the big bank then into the cowshed and been in the same seat in the IP Office Stand since it was built.
The recent short lived European Super League reinforced that top flight premiershite football and european football is not for me.
Grass roots it is - Exeter is more than a football club it is and extended family and may it long continue that way whatever league we are in.
Really missed it this year roll on next season when hopefully we can all return.

COYR / UTC

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Grew up in Dawlish. City through and through. Watched Leicester fairly regularly in my student days, and went Arsenal on occasion in my London days, but never felt emotional attachments like I do with City. Seen City all over the country over the years. Did not manage all the lower division grounds but been most of them. Have no interest in the prem anymore and only follow what’s happening in our division. The cup run of 80/81 had a massive impact on me as a school kid which will never leave me

IndoMike

Born and bred in Exeter. My aunts were all City fans. First match when I was a nipper. Always football crazy. So for me it was a combination of roots, pride in coming from Exeter, memories of when I was a kid, love of the game, family tradition.

The emotional bond with the place where you were born and brought up never disappears, and in fact gets stronger as you get older.

And, of course, people need to identify with something..and somehow we feel a kind of reflected glory when the team does well.

Going to sound like a bit of a plastic but here goes, Bristol born and bred, never lived in another city. Through school I became interested in football, and had a pull towards premiership football. Manchester United were the team I ended up interested in for many years. Didn’t know much about the lower leagues when my first knowledge of Exeter City came up, THAT FA cup tie. At the time was wanting United to win.

Due to parents having a caravan at Devon Cliffs we spent most weekends there during my teenage years. So one sunny Saturday, in 2006, decided to take a trip to see what watching Exeter City was like. After a 2-1 win that was it, hooked! And have been a big Exeter fan from that day on!

dontpassback

Born in st Thomas,dad took me to watch rugby at the county ground,it was something or nothing,then an uncle came round and said he was going to city on Saturday and would I like to go ? Yes please,I think it was Workington town at SJP,but that was it city forever,and the county ground was a distant memory,except for the great Monday nights watching the falcons hurtling around at breakneck speed ! Happy days

fred binneys head

Born in Exeter a mile from the ground. Dad played for city. Moved to Coventry (where my family is from) aged 4, grew up around Coventry, went to watch Coventry and Birmingham as a youngster, didn’t appeal to me. Still visited Exeter regularly and holidayed in Devon. Dad took me to city vs Brentford 27 December 1983 and I fell in love - the ground, the small crowd making me feel I was part of something special, the fact I was watching a match on a pitch my dad had played on and then the kit - red and white stripes with black shorts and black socks. Fell in love aged 10, been obsessed ever since.

manc grecian

Moved her in 2002. Watched us get beat by Torquay for my first game. Attended a few more games and watched us get relegated and nearly cease to exist. Thought this seems like fun and have been escaping at 1pm on a Saturday ever since.

haka

Dad took me to city vs Brentford 27 December 1983 and I fell in love ...
Lucky it wasn't City v Brentford April 1983.