• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

More problems at Bolton Wanderers

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that would soon do for the likes of Salford too. Excellent idea.

i8cornwall

Clubs have to know that they cannot overspend and then expect bail-outs. It is unfair competition and irresponsible City learnt the lesson that a couple of dodgy/fraudulent owners can almost ruin a club and we didn't make that mistake again.
As I said in my post, which you ignored, the EFL has a lot to answer for. They claimed the right to act as arbiters of fit and proper tests for potential club owners and they failed miserably.
Of course people will lose their jobs, as they do in shops, factories, restaurants etc that close. That's the real world. I worked in a job and went unpaid for 4 months because the company I worked for went broke. That's the truth, and it's not pleasant. It's the real world.
Thank you for explaining how the real word works. But How have we overspent?

I agree the EFL has a lot to answer for and is less then useless, but nothing will be done till one of the big clubs is in this positions.

So you agree that city should have been made to start from the bottom of the ladder from reading your reply?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree the EFL has a lot to answer for and is less then useless, but nothing will be done till one of the big clubs is in this positions.

So you agree that city should have been made to start from the bottom of the ladder from reading your reply?
Portsmouth should have gone a few years ago..That would have made people sit up & take notice.

As for The Grecians in 2003,the club was so riddled with debt due to owners mismanagement perhaps they should have started again.
That would have happened without that number 63 ball coming out after MU were drawn.

i8cornwall

Portsmouth should have gone a few years ago..That would have made people sit up & take notice.

As for The Grecians in 2003,the club was so riddled with debt due to owners mismanagement perhaps they should have started again.
That would have happened without that number 63 ball coming out after MU were drawn.
I fully agree, I'm not against clubs being thrown out of the EFL or leagues but think it needs to done properly and taking into consideration the cost to a local community. Pompey was the ideal opportunity to do this.

The situation at bolton is very similar to what happened at City. Rouge owner only in it for themselves and a fast buck. Hopfully we get through it but I'm not hopful, I think once Bury go we will follow along with a few others I'd imagine.

DB9

I fully agree, I'm not against clubs being thrown out of the EFL or leagues but think it needs to done properly and taking into consideration the cost to a local community. Pompey was the ideal opportunity to do this.

The situation at bolton is very similar to what happened at City. Rouge owner only in it for themselves and a fast buck. Hopfully we get through it but I'm not hopful, I think once Bury go we will follow along with a few others I'd imagine.
Who owns the Stadium, Do Bolton themselves, The Owner, Council or one of these mysterious Holding Companies?

IndoMike

I think you misread my reply. If no genuine saviour is found for Bury how can they carry on? They get gates of around 2500 and they have massive debts.
Regarding Bolton : if they can't fulfill their fixtures what do you suggest? If they don't fulfill away matches the home team will lose its budgeted income.
In both cases the horse has bolted and the EFL had not fulfilled its duty to conduct a fit and proper test.
It's not my role to find a solution. My main point was that the fans cannot expect a handout from.bigger clubs : it wouldn't be fair. Businesses fold and people lose their jobs : capitalism isn't fair.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the EFL who wouldn't pass a fit and proper test.

i8cornwall

I think you misread my reply. If no genuine saviour is found for Bury how can they carry on? They get gates of around 2500 and they have massive debts.
Regarding Bolton : if they can't fulfill their fixtures what do you suggest? If they don't fulfill away matches the home team will lose its budgeted income.
In both cases the horse has bolted and the EFL had not fulfilled its duty to conduct a fit and proper test.
It's not my role to find a solution. My main point was that the fans cannot expect a handout from.bigger clubs : it wouldn't be fair. Businesses fold and people lose their jobs : capitalism isn't fair.
Firstly I couldn't carless about Bury which isn't anything new, this is also a thread about Bolton. Our situation is very different to there's, we havnt overspent, we have played 3 games with an under 18 side. EFL regulations actually state that an under 18 side can't play more then twice in 7 days.

I agree If club can't fulfill there fixtures then they should be thrown out of the league but I don't think
Please show where Bolton fans or the club has asked for help from the big clubs?

i8cornwall

Who owns the Stadium, Do Bolton themselves, The Owner, Council or one of these mysterious Holding Companies?
The club owns the ground and the hotel. Well the two sets of administrators do at the mo but I get what you meant. I think the land is owned by Bolton council though.

DB9

The club owns the ground and the hotel. Well the two sets of administrators do at the mo but I get what you meant. I think the land is owned by Bolton council though.
If like you say they own the ground and hotel (Never realised there was a hotel) there is a sort of bargaining chip? If the land is owned by the Council then it's a leasehold property? but still an asset i guess. When Pompey went tits up they had land to sell, So just opposite the ground is a massive Tesco that got given approval which really helped them, Mind there are local stories that the Council there were a bit "Over sympathetic" with Pompey's plight when granting planning permission for the Tesco's, If you've been there you wonder how the Council agreed to it beause its a nightmare around there, The traffic is awful and on matchdays is unbearable. If they weren't in financial do do planning for the Tesco would never have been agreed