• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Once the paint job is on i think it will look good
Next time I'll get someone else to film with a better phone and by then the paint may be at least in the undercoat which I think has to be white to make the Ford blue correct will do a couple of test pieces before I paint the car body.
Not tempted to go for something during this lockdown DB ? I have some spare camo paints left over !

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Next time I'll get someone else to film with a better phone and by then the paint may be at least in the undercoat which I think has to be white to make the Ford blue correct will do a couple of test pieces before I paint the car body.
Not tempted to go for something during this lockdown DB ? I have some spare camo paints left over !
I've got my USS Enterprise to do but after the disappointment of the Ford Transit it's knocked me a bit and I realized that I've been to long not doing them, I've a air brush I've never used and would love someone to show me how to, Not just online and I don't want to ruin the Enterprise as my daughter bought it for me.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the Enterprise its one overall colour with minimal shading and outlining (black wash) to do ? + any distressed stuff needed for battle scars.
I did do a Milenium Falcon years ago that I ended up doing some related dents in the hull and weathering bits , the good thing about space craft is usually they need too much like because by nature they don't get mud and stuff on them unlike tanks etc.

Go for it buddy.

DB9

With the Enterprise its one overall colour with minimal shading and outlining (black wash) to do ? + any distressed stuff needed for battle scars.
I did do a Milenium Falcon years ago that I ended up doing some related dents in the hull and weathering bits , the good thing about space craft is usually they need too much like because by nature they don't get mud and stuff on them unlike tanks etc.

Go for it buddy.
I have the paint and you're right it is minimal shading plus not many other colours, The blackwash, How does that work? What ive seen on Youtube its like if you use droplets it runs down the line to bring out say the side of a bonnet to the wing to make it look like a gap?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Basically yes you can buy the wash but I have used watered down matt black and just give it more time to dry and you wont have to use it all over the Enterprise just the bits that would be used frequently remember to wipe off or soak up any excess with tissue.
You could also do a matt black undercoat and then put the top coat which is possibly a satin/matt finish to give the same effect harder to do that way and probably for a bit more skilled hand.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Question..

Do you wash the sprues in water and washing up liquid before you build?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Been quite bust the last 3 weeks.. not even looked at a kit to build.. the corsair needs a final paint and looking at the EE lightning, needs more work before I start spraying that

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Good to hear from you Lez, Thought you must be busy. Just wanted to say that here in Eastleigh other than the Supermarkets the place that's has the biggest queue is the Model making shop, Blokes of a certain age, Myself included have had to queue to get in there for various bits and pieces. Funny thing though, No women queuing! 🤔😉😄👍

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear from you Lez, Thought you must be busy. Just wanted to say that here in Eastleigh other than the Supermarkets the place that's has the biggest queue is the Model making shop, Blokes of a certain age, Myself included have had to queue to get in there for various bits and pieces. Funny thing though, No women queuing! 🤔😉😄👍
Yeah ive got to get back to doing them again. they are sat looking at me right now.. hopefully get them done by the end of the month, im surprised about no women... on Facebook a lot of men are thanking their wives for buying them kits.. I guess its because they want them away from under their feet lol

The models have been flying out from my shop too.. the older ones in particular.

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

Been quite bust the last 3 weeks.. not even looked at a kit to build.. the corsair needs a final paint and looking at the EE lightning, needs more work before I start spraying that
Hope your finances improve Lez :)