• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Engines were an obsession of mine throwing away the normal exhaust and making header pipes from solder and then down to the ignition leads using a cut up bit of wire now you can get colour coded wires so thin which looks a lot neater in an engine bay.

Lez make sure you have the right camo pattern for whatever group markings on the Spitfire !
I have the right colours which the box is telling me to

Are you saying copy the markings on the wings from the rear of the box?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I have the right colours which the box is telling me to

Are you saying copy the markings on the wings from the rear of the box?
If the side markings are meant to be of a genuine squadron you can look them up to see what sort of camo pattern was adopted by that fighter ! Think were basically 2 or possibly 3 different camo patterns and colours.
Best I could find at present

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
ah I see... the box is pretty accurate then.. ill try to follow them but I'm not too worried at the moment as im just learning how to airbrush

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
ah I see... the box is pretty accurate then.. ill try to follow them but I'm not too worried at the moment as im just learning how to airbrush
If you would like some suggestions on whom to airbrush, I suggest an Exeweb poll.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Next phase of the spitfire build with spraying the bottom with 90 colour before I spray the black right wing..

I need to set up an area in the conservatory to put the compressor and make a booth to house the extraction system which the filters arrived for today.. it works well but the Mrs isn't impressed ive taken over the dining table!!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
new tool turned up yesterday and very happy with it. its a Flex-I-file and its brilliant on curves, you can also make your own belts from wet and dry too which I'm gonna make a wood jig to make them with
Ill use a guillotine I got from home bargain to cut the paper and super glue to glue the ends

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Bit of an update.. the McDonnell has now had hall the bits filled in then sanded and first coat put on.. Bad reaction on the tail.. I will sand back with wet and dry ready for a second coat..

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 21.22.28.pngScreenshot 2019-08-15 at 21.22.06.pngScreenshot 2019-08-15 at 21.21.53.png

And the spitfire I have hand painted the underside with black

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 21.21.41.png

Reactions: DB9

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The last model I built was the battlecruiser HMS Hood way back when I was a boy. I haven't really given it much thought since then but I remember having great difficulty doing a decent paint job free of wavy lines and smudges. Is there special way of painting that can overcome these problems or is it just having a steady hand?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
The last model I built was the battlecruiser HMS Hood way back when I was a boy. I haven't really given it much thought since then but I remember having great difficulty doing a decent paint job free of wavy lines and smudges. Is there special way of painting that can overcome these problems or is it just having a steady hand?
Paints have greatly improved since then.. enamels and acrylics different drying times plus additives that does help with the levelling of paint and quicker drying times.. Buy a Airfix starter kit and have a go..

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paints have greatly improved since then.. enamels and acrylics different drying times plus additives that does help with the levelling of paint and quicker drying times.. Buy a Airfix starter kit and have a go..
I'd agree with that Lez, A few cheap starter kits that include paint then if you make a balls up at least you haven't spent a fortune