• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Went in yesterday to pick up a couple of bits (ended up buying 2 more kits) had a bit of a yap with him seems it just doesn't pay these days to own a business premises if people don't go in from one year to the next.
Maybe if it had been in a slightly better location more people would at least have popped in for a nose around ? The role playing model shop in Heavitree didn't last very long tbh because it just wasn't the right place to have a shop like that there.
I agree with most of that but most who sell online do have a physical shop too.. but he was not forthcoming on wanting to sell online either!! Nice chap though

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spitfire first coat is on with my new airbrush and compressor.. pretty happy how well it performed and the finish is very good..

I’ll have to invest in some proper pots as mixing the paint in a small yogurt pot wasn’t the best idea!! especially trying to pour the mix into the bowl on the airbrush :geek:
Coming along nicely Lez 👍

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Was going to ask, Those of you who've answered on this thread what are your favourite types of models to build? Mine are normally 1/32 scale vehicles, Not into ships or planes much, Tried motorbikes with little success but one i would like to do is the Appolo Saturn 5 rocket
I put a cheeky bid on an Apollo Saturn 5 rocket on eBay but it went a tad too high!! I also want to do the eagle lander and command but to get that right I think you’ll have to do some scenery and create that diorama too

I enjoy planes trains buildings and any vehicles.. helicopters or boats don’t really do it for me

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Never knew that the place existed, or I'd have popped in. Having googled it, I suspect that I may have visited the actual premises regularly as a kid, usually dragged kicking and screaming to get "scalped" -it was the local barbers ! Now if it been a model shop back then, my parents difficulty would have been getting me out of it !
Closes end of September so you still have a bit of time

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Hot Rods for me mostly always liked the ERTL 3 way build kits as they came with extra parts and decals !
First for me were the bigger plane kits B29, Mitchell Liberator , Mosquito also built a 3ft Seaview kit with the Polar Lights kits.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Rods for me mostly always liked the ERTL 3 way build kits as they came with extra parts and decals !
First for me were the bigger plane kits B29, Mitchell Liberator , Mosquito also built a 3ft Seaview kit with the Polar Lights kits.
I notice that a lot of scratch builders make hotrods in the model groups on facebook

DB9

One thing I do look out for when building a car is a detailed engine bay, Some have a fixed bonnet but I do like putting together the engine itself

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
One thing I do look out for when building a car is a detailed engine bay, Some have a fixed bonnet but I do like putting together the engine itself
Engines were an obsession of mine throwing away the normal exhaust and making header pipes from solder and then down to the ignition leads using a cut up bit of wire now you can get colour coded wires so thin which looks a lot neater in an engine bay.

Lez make sure you have the right camo pattern for whatever group markings on the Spitfire !

DB9

Engines were an obsession of mine throwing away the normal exhaust and making header pipes from solder and then down to the ignition leads using a cut up bit of wire now you can get colour coded wires so thin which looks a lot neater in an engine bay.

Lez make sure you have the right camo pattern for whatever group markings on the Spitfire !
There was a time not so long ago when the far Eastern dragon economy went badly into recession and Tamiya and other companies made the decision to save money they'd not have engine bays and their cars were sold with fixed bonnets and no detailed engines to put together which was not the best thing

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was a time not so long ago when the far Eastern dragon economy went badly into recession and Tamiya and other companies made the decision to save money they'd not have engine bays and their cars were sold with fixed bonnets and no detailed engines to put together which was not the best thing
Yeah I noticed that but if you are steady with an xacto you can score then cut the lines on the bonnet and make an engine from scratch the hardest bit for me was always making workable suspension from old bit of pens.
I'd like to build one of these but the cost is stupid