• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
They stopped manufacturing them in the mid 60's too.. Last one flew in 2009 to Jersey..

The engine they used in the 800 was a Rolls Royce Dart that was fitted to many classic planes including a Mustang, the original Gulfstream and a B17 Flying Fortress.. RR had a thing with naming engines after rivers.. Dart, Exe, Conway, Tyne.. and the obvious one.. The Trent :)
May I add the Fokker Friendship, Handley Page Dart Herald and the one I'm very familiar with, the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.

The Rolls-Royce Turbomeca Adour was another engine named after a river ;)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indulge me further by viewing The Dart powered Argosy on it's acceptance by the RAF - In truth the RAF didn't want the Argosy but were made to have it'

Also, please view the following film about the Blackburn Beverley. You will see and hear from Pete Stubbs who, like myself, a Despatch Crew-Commander serving with 55 Air Despatch Squadron RCT. you will see 1 ton container despatch sorties which was the main way of supplying food, clothing, ammo and pol.

Red on, green on. ;)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hmm, messed up with the wrong Beverley Film. Hope this does the trick..

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone got a Christmas build on the cards..??
we've got the builders in to do our new conservatory so my model kit building is on pause..

but once I'm all set up I have that vickers to finish then im building a Flybe dash 8 q400 to build over the holidays...

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone got a Christmas build on the cards..??
we've got the builders in to do our new conservatory so my model kit building is on pause..

but once I'm all set up I have that vickers to finish then im building a Flybe dash 8 q400 to build over the holidays...
I'm waiting to see what Father Christmas brings me 👍

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
some proper nice new kits coming through from airfix.. the cars ive been told are Heller reboxed models.. the tanks could be academy like the f14 they are promoting as Top Gun Mavericks plane... (they also have released a P-51D mustang as he files one in the new film too)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Soo.. Started the Mitsubishi AGM2b Zero but sadly the Humbrol paint reacted so have micro meshed it back to hopefully a smooth finish.. I think the reaction was to the brush I had used was cleaned with thinners, as I last brushed on enamel.. so thinning Humbrol with mr hobby thinner should hopefully help the next coat go on smoother...

DE9FB650-B5EB-4F3E-8DEA-6AE05C7AC90F.jpeg8D086E28-6B4E-406C-A448-B491647F1E1C.jpeg57C069EB-0A4D-44BD-A8C1-8A06F172DD41.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DB9

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
No recent updates on your Zero Lez ?

So I've been and finished the Ford Gasser and always liked the hot rods so I've been out and bought 3 new kits.

The Curly's Gasser is going to be a recreation from the 1979 film Hot Rod which always looked and ran hard as nails.
Don't know which way I'm going to go with the 33 Willy's maybe a tubbed rear end and low ?
The 55 Nomad may possibly be turned into a pick up in a two tone maybe a cream over blue paint scheme to haul around the 40 Willy's spare parts …
May even build a trailer for the back end to complete the racing combo of the 55 and 40 !

Attachments

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Have a look at this guys work Lez
Individual rivets !!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
No recent updates on your Zero Lez ?

So I've been and finished the Ford Gasser and always liked the hot rods so I've been out and bought 3 new kits.

The Curly's Gasser is going to be a recreation from the 1979 film Hot Rod which always looked and ran hard as nails.
Don't know which way I'm going to go with the 33 Willy's maybe a tubbed rear end and low ?
The 55 Nomad may possibly be turned into a pick up in a two tone maybe a cream over blue paint scheme to haul around the 40 Willy's spare parts …
May even build a trailer for the back end to complete the racing combo of the 55 and 40 !
I had the conservatory rebuilt so haven't had the spray booth up and running.. the bench goes back in a fortnight so will finish that zero plus the Flybe Q400 :)