• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Moaning & Groaning: Perspective.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally, I think the new scoreboard is the result of forward thinking rather than focusing on personal opinions which is what’s going on here.

The “I don’t want a bloody scoreboard” opinions are perfectly valid but then we’re all long standing, and often suffering, fans and, dare I say, generally of a certain age. Like it or not, the younger generation of fans who already come to matches, those who could be tempted to and the future generations who aren’t yet a twinkle in the milkman’s eye will expect things like this. It's 2021, believe it or not, and expectations change.

Plus, in time and with the right commercial focus, it will pay for itself and more anyway.
Well of course we're just giving our opinions. Log, as you are.
I'm just going by what Tagg said. He also said it will be difficult to make it pay. From the horse's mouth.
Any younger fans get plenty of time to play around with hi tec gadgets, games etc at home. I honestly don't think a scoreboard
is the attraction that you think it is. Anyway, we'll see. For me the priority is buying the best players we can afford and improving the areas which need improving, on the field.

Edward

Regardless of what you or I want, both club and Trust must operate within the law. You would hope trust appointees to the club board would be influenced by the wishes of the TB as representatives of the membership, but legally once they are club directors they must act as individuals in the best interests of the club alone. I believe those appointed directors are reviewed regularly (although I doubt that's more than yearly, i'm sure ex Trustees could tell us) and can be removed by the TB. Ideally the aims of both boards will be the same anyway, but the TB can hold the CB to account.
As with any representative democracy, the TB are put in place to make decisions on behalf of its members, it however doesn't manage the club, the club directors do as is the situation with all businesses and all shareholders, there is nothing unusual about ECAFC Ltd. The amount of involvement the shareholders have through the Trust is however unusual in that we are far more involved than most.
Really? Wouldn't there be a case for 'reserved matters' in any shareholders' agreement? You have to be careful with reserved matters to ensure you are not compromising the ability of the directors to run the company but they are common-place and routinely require shareholder sign-off before significant decisions are taken. The acquisition of high cost capital items would often be a reserved matter.

LOG

Well of course we're just giving our opinions. Log, as you are.
I'm just going by what Tagg said. He also said it will be difficult to make it pay. From the horse's mouth.
Any younger fans get plenty of time to play around with hi tec gadgets, games etc at home. I honestly don't think a scoreboard
is the attraction that you think it is. Anyway, we'll see. For me the priority is buying the best players we can afford and improving the areas which need improving, on the field.
Difficult does not mean impossible.

Of course we all want to see the best players we can afford on the pitch but taking that as a priority and letting everything else suffer through either no investment or underinvestment is shortsighted. People talk of a lack of ambition but that's simply focusing on what happens on a Saturday afternoon. There is plenty of ambition otherwise we wouldn't be investing in the pitch, OTR, a scoreboard, the training ground and so on. We'd just be splashing the cash and gambling on the playing squad. We'd also be playing in a two sided ground and training in the local park.

IndoMike

Difficult does not mean impossible.

Of course we all want to see the best players we can afford on the pitch but taking that as a priority and letting everything else suffer through either no investment or underinvestment is shortsighted. People talk of a lack of ambition but that's simply focusing on what happens on a Saturday afternoon. There is plenty of ambition otherwise we wouldn't be investing in the pitch, OTR, a scoreboard, the training ground and so on. We'd just be splashing the cash and gambling on the playing squad. We'd also be playing in a two sided ground and training in the local park.
I don't think we'd suffer by not having a fancy scoreboard. Investing in the pitch is a necessity. Investing in the OTR : good thinking.
But it doesn't have to be a package including a scoreboard, though. Anyway, at the moment we're suffering every time we play.
Nobody is against the principle of investment : it just depends on where the money is invested.
My opinion is that the scoreboard is not a priority, especially at a cost of hundreds of thousands. Others will agree or disagree. The club says many fans have asked for one, so my opinion counts for very little.

Colesman Ballz

I don't think we'd suffer by not having a fancy scoreboard. Investing in the pitch is a necessity. Investing in the OTR : good thinking.
But it doesn't have to be a package including a scoreboard, though. Anyway, at the moment we're suffering every time we play.
Nobody is against the principle of investment : it just depends on where the money is invested.
My opinion is that the scoreboard is not a priority, especially at a cost of hundreds of thousands. Others will agree or disagree. The club says many fans have asked for one, so my opinion counts for very little.
Your opinion is based on a Devon Live report, me personally I give more credence to the figure quoted in the official minutes referred to, but each to his own . . . !

Alistair20000

So let us stop scratching our heads and furrowing our brows over what this super, shiny, all singing and dancing, new, modern scoreboard is going to cost.

Shirley someone knows the actual figure ? Cannot believe this is "commercially sensitive" info.

Anybody know ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? Wouldn't there be a case for 'reserved matters' in any shareholders' agreement? You have to be careful with reserved matters to ensure you are not compromising the ability of the directors to run the company but they are common-place and routinely require shareholder sign-off before significant decisions are taken. The acquisition of high cost capital items would often be a reserved matter.
There is in force (although it's not on the Trust Website, it's referred to in the Exeter City Football Club: Club charter - Exeter City FC ) a Club Trust Agreement (passed at an AGM a while ago) which says that the Club must have the written consent of the Trust Board for various important decisions. I'm out of the loop these days but IIRC this includes capital expenditure or receipts above [£25K?] or contracts with an annual cost of [£50K?], excluding players' contracts.

Not sure why the text is (apparently) not public... or if it's being operated as written.

IndoMike

Your opinion is based on a Devon Live report, me personally I give more credence to the figure quoted in the official minutes referred to, but each to his own . . . !
They quoted Taggy. Inverted commas.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
How does an electronic scoreboard that tells you the score in game you are already watching and lets you know that it's 2 for 1 meals at a local pub 'enhance the supporter experience'? Pointless exercise installing a scoreboard.
Not if you were planning on stopping somewhere on way home to buy a pub meal.

Colesman Ballz

So let us stop scratching our heads and furrowing our brows over what this super, shiny, all singing and dancing, new, modern scoreboard is going to cost.

Shirley someone knows the actual figure ? Cannot believe this is "commercially sensitive" info.

Anybody know ?
Surely this is an item that would be put out for competitive tender and perhaps this has not yet happened ?