• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Moaning & Groaning: Perspective.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Truth is no matter what the other teams do we are just not good enough only one way of playing and when that is sussed out by the opposition and does not work we are right up the proverbial.

The weakness in the quality of the squad has been highlighted by the fact that only very rarely have we been able to change games by way of substitutions because they are not there for tactical reasons and just there to make up the numbers. In fact very questionable as to whether we need a full bench in any case.

Bottom line the likes of Atangana, Fisher, Seymour, Parkes, McArdle and Seymour are no more than below average League Two players with the latter not even at that level needing to start next season on loan to somewhere like WSM where he can hopefully rebuild his confidence and his career.

Caprice and Page are borderline cases the latter in particular because of fitness levels.

MT has a major task ahead of him if he wants to build a squad capable of making a serious challenge for a top three spot next season and I will be very disappointed if Fisher and Atangana are still with us at the start of next season.

Bowman looks an odds on certainty to move as does Williams. Jake might also decide to move and I would not be surprised if someone came in with an offer for MJ.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Truth is no matter what the other teams do we are just not good enough only one way of playing and when that is sussed out by the opposition and does not work we are right up the proverbial.

The weakness in the quality of the squad has been highlighted by the fact that only very rarely have we been able to change games by way of substitutions because they are not there for tactical reasons and just there to make up the numbers. In fact very questionable as to whether we need a full bench in any case.

Bottom line the likes of Atangana, Fisher, Seymour, Parkes, McArdle and Seymour are no more than below average League Two players with the latter not even at that level needing to start next season on loan to somewhere like WSM where he can hopefully rebuild his confidence and his career.

Caprice and Page are borderline cases the latter in particular because of fitness levels.

MT has a major task ahead of him if he wants to build a squad capable of making a serious challenge for a top three spot next season and I will be very disappointed if Fisher and Atangana are still with us at the start of next season.

Bowman looks an odds on certainty to move as does Williams. Jake might also decide to move and I would not be surprised if someone came in with an offer for MJ.
The board need to support the manager so he can genuinely attract players of a higher standard than another round of league Two free transfers...Atangana, McArdle, Caprice etc.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The board need to support the manager so he can genuinely attract players of a higher standard than another round of league Two free transfers...Atangana, McArdle, Caprice etc.
Agreed as the saying goes you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and although MT has slipped up a few times he has been forced to shop at Petticoat Lane level and not even Prizmark.

ExmouthMart

I don’t think there will much change next season on the playing front. Maybe Bowman and Taylor might move on and possibly most of those out of contract to be replaced along the lines of this seasons signings, namely players coming back from injury and solid journeymen. Plus the young lads who will have more experience after this season. Andresson signing permanently would be a good move but other than that don’t expect too much. If the pitch is improved then we might see more consistency especially at home. It’s the highs and lows that does your head in. Stuffing Cambridge and turning in an abject display against Barrow. You know it’s in them but for some reason they just fall back into their old ways. I can’t explain it! Over thinking, too much tinkering, over confident playing so called lesser teams or players sulking for whatever reason?! Who knows! The joys of supporting City!!

Banksy

‘I don’t think there will much change next season on the playing front....’
Goodness , I hope to blazes we have a complete forward clear out for a start.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I don’t think there will much change next season on the playing front. Maybe Bowman and Taylor might move on and possibly most of those out of contract to be replaced along the lines of this seasons signings, namely players coming back from injury and solid journeymen. Plus the young lads who will have more experience after this season. Andresson signing permanently would be a good move but other than that don’t expect too much. If the pitch is improved then we might see more consistency especially at home. It’s the highs and lows that does your head in. Stuffing Cambridge and turning in an abject display against Barrow. You know it’s in them but for some reason they just fall back into their old ways. I can’t explain it! Over thinking, too much tinkering, over confident playing so called lesser teams or players sulking for whatever reason?! Who knows! The joys of supporting City!!
Whether by chance or design I feel that the squad's inconsistency this season is down to the playing style of the opposition. Hence some cracking results and some irrationally bad ones. Overall, we're good on the ball and tend to do well (á la Cambridge) against good footballing sides that generally play with the ball on the ground. Conversely, when we play a team with a tight organised defence with lots of 'head tennis', we lack guile and penetration to break them down. That trait needs sorting in the closed season and good recruitment will be pivotal.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whether by chance or design I feel that the squad's inconsistency this season is down to the playing style of the opposition. Hence some cracking results and some irrationally bad ones. Overall, we're good on the ball and tend to do well (á la Cambridge) against good footballing sides that generally play with the ball on the ground. Conversely, when we play a team with a tight organised defence with lots of 'head tennis', we lack guile and penetration to break them down. That trait needs sorting in the closed season and good recruitment will be pivotal.
Just like the season before then !
Afram City

IndoMike

"The other side is entitled to play".
It is Matt T who constantly refers to "the level in Div 2" and to the need for physicality. I feel he is caught between a rock and a hard place.
He's not sure if the team should play the passing game or hoofball. And the lower the alleged quality of the opponent the more hoofball we play.
He is too reactive. We are indeed a passing team : we need to knock the ball around and gradually frustrate and suffocate the opposition.
We are not a hoofball tam and don't have the players to be so.

Alistair20000

Despite yet another underwhelming performance against utter dross the play offs are still well within reach.

Banksy

Despite yet another underwhelming performance against utter dross the play offs are still well within reach.
😂😂😂