• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Moaning & Groaning: Perspective.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh Bill, you are soooooo serious. Chill man.

Red Bill

You're wrong about one thing, Bill. Companies are scrutinized by their shareholders and their stakeholders. For example, many companies have been forced to change their modus operandi due to consumer pressure. People can vote with their feet or their wallet too if they're not happy. Like it or not, there have been many campaigns such as questioning the origin of goods, environmental concerns et al which have obligated companies to change. So the man /woman in the street as a collective have a lot of influence.
Some fair points Mike, although i'm not sure a customers power to 'shop elsewhere' is the same as customers assuming the right to have business decisions explained and justified to them. The examples you give, whilst being valid points, are mainly considerations around the ethics of a business, I don't think that any of us would describe the decisions that ExmouthMart says he feels he should have the right to have justified to him and all fans/customers, could be described as ethical considerations.
To explain if went into for example Boston Tea Party, I might want to know if their coffee is fair trade or their take away cups are recyclable or their staff are employed on good terms, those things will be a consideration when deciding whether to give them my custom. But I would never expect them to explain to me how much their light fittings cost and how much that impacts on how much I pay for a cup of coffee, nor would I feel I had a right to that information.

Spoonz Red E

Some fair points Mike, although i'm not sure a customers power to 'shop elsewhere' is the same as customers assuming the right to have business decisions explained and justified to them. The examples you give, whilst being valid points, are mainly considerations around the ethics of a business, I don't think that any of us would describe the decisions that ExmouthMart says he feels he should have the right to have justified to him and all fans/customers, could be described as ethical considerations.
To explain if went into for example Boston Tea Party, I might want to know if their coffee is fair trade or their take away cups are recyclable or their staff are employed on good terms, those things will be a consideration when deciding whether to give them my custom. But I would never expect them to explain to me how much their light fittings cost and how much that impacts on how much I pay for a cup of coffee, nor would I feel I had a right to that information.
Ironic (or intended?) that a company called 'Boston Tea Party' is your example.
The original set off the American Revolution which although ostensibly leading to citizens rights via a new Constitution also helped birth, in time, a super corporate America.

Red Bill

Ironic (or intended?) that a company called 'Boston Tea Party' is your example.
The original set off the American Revolution which although ostensibly leading to citizens rights via a new Constitution also helped birth, in time, a super corporate America.
Haha, I wish I could claim it was intended Mike, but in reality it was the only place I could think of:rolleyes:

ExmouthMart

The comparison with multi national companies makes no sense as they actually have real investors who invest actual money and expect a return on their investment. Exeter City FC is a tiny company that survives on the generosity of its members and the goodwill of others. It also needs to continually sell its prized assets to survive. I don’t care how it’s dressed up or the barriers that are being put up if a company continually struggles to raise money, without outside investment, decides to spend a considerable amount of money on a project with no guarantee of a return then people need to be kept informed right from the off, not when it passes the point of no return.
I am not against the screen but is it really necessary right now?! If the budget available is more than capable of finally sorting the pitch problems fair enough. Remember a lasting fix that gives Taylor the surface he wants for his style of football. No excuses about not enough time to do it properly. Have a contingency plan in place to cover all eventualities.
Let’s hope all the other budgets see the same level of investment, particularly the playing budget......

Colesman Ballz

Haha, I wish I could claim it was intended Mike, but in reality it was the only place I could think of:rolleyes:
Despite the name, what's not to like about a small regional independent chain with a great offering. Their Queen St branch will continue to get my custom and I shun the likes of the "Corporates" such as your Costas and Starbucks !

Red Bill

Despite the name, what's not to like about a small regional independent chain with a great offering. Their Queen St branch will continue to get my custom and I shun the likes of the "Corporates" such as your Costas and Starbucks !
I didn't know it was a small local chain, they seem to be everywhere around this area so i'd assumed they were a big national chain. I feel better about going in there now!

ExmouthMart

I didn't know it was a small local chain, they seem to be everywhere around this area so i'd assumed they were a big national chain. I feel better about going in there now!
As an aside and maybe not the right place....... do we support and provide local food and drink at City?! Say what you like about Dale Vince at Forest Green his ethos runs through everything.

Colesman Ballz

If the scoreboard is a rip-roaring success, pays for itself in eighteen months, goes onto rake in income for the Club then I fear the "luddites" of exeweb will still not be happy ! At that end of the day this is one part of a carefully considered business plan to take the club forward on a wide range of fronts. It is not daddy spending your pocket money on drinking and gambling kiddies ! 😎

Colesman Ballz

As an aside and maybe not the right place....... do we support and provide local food and drink at City?! Say what you like about Dale Vince at Forest Green his ethos runs through everything.
Yes Mart it does consciously support and follow this ethos since becoming Trust owned . Fair trade products in our food outlets, and the Kenniford Farm "chuck wagon" in Red Square on match days are just a couple of examples.