• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Missing it Already.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You misinterpreted my comments totally, with a big t I was talking about women's rights, not women viewers.
So what was this line all about then: “And, as a general point, AFAIK, the greater proportion of the population of the UK is made up of women : so hardly a minority group.”

IndoMike

So what was this line all about then: “And, as a general point, AFAIK, the greater proportion of the population of the UK is made up of women : so hardly a minority group.”
There are as many women as men, so purely considering numbers, they should have the same right as men to have their games heavily promoted. Equal opportunity. Thereafter the market will decide : I assume that TV companies will back women's football as long as they think it is or will be popular.
Regarding the use of the word "hype" : how do you measure hype?
Don't forget that women's boxing was scorned ten years ago, but now some fights are really heavily promoted. Of course, just because a tournament or match or fight gets a lot of press coverage, nobody is forced to be persuaded by it.
I don't enjoy women's football in general, but I don't enjoy the Premier League, cricket, rugby or athletics any more, for various reasons. But if they get a lot of coverage, frankly I don't give a damn.
Good luck to the women: hope it all works out well and that tens of thousands of school-kids will be inspired by you to take up the game.

Antony Moxey

There are as many women as men, so purely considering numbers, they should have the same right as men to have their games heavily promoted. Equal opportunity. Thereafter the market will decide : I assume that TV companies will back women's football as long as they think it is or will be popular.
Regarding the use of the word "hype" : how do you measure hype?
Don't forget that women's boxing was scorned ten years ago, but now some fights are really heavily promoted. Of course, just because a tournament or match or fight gets a lot of press coverage, nobody is forced to be persuaded by it.
I don't enjoy women's football in general, but I don't enjoy the Premier League, cricket, rugby or athletics any more, for various reasons. But if they get a lot of coverage, frankly I don't give a damn.
Good luck to the women: hope it all works out well and that tens of thousands of school-kids will be inspired by you to take up the game.
‘Rights’ have nothing to do with it, neither should gender. It should be about the product on offer and the potential audience for that product. At the moment all the hype in the world isn’t going to get crowds (of both men and women) watching women’s football, it’s just not that attractive a product.

IndoMike

‘Rights’ have nothing to do with it, neither should gender. It should be about the product on offer and the potential audience for that product. At the moment all the hype in the world isn’t going to get crowds (of both men and women) watching women’s football, it’s just not that attractive a product.
That's what I said

Having watched yesterday's men's cup final and today's women's cup final I know which one I think was over-hyped.

IndoMike

Having watched yesterday's men's cup final and today's women's cup final I know which one I think was over-hyped.
I didn't see it but the reports said it was a thrilling game.
Many elderly gentlemen find it difficult to accept changes in trend : too set in their ways. Look at me : I don't even have/ want a credit card. Women in sport is growing rapidly : one of the best jockeys is female- and they have every right to receive support and publicity for what they do. Of course, nobody is obligated to watch, but it is churlish and a bit neanderthal to make a big deal out of the fact that some of their events are promoted heavily

Boyo

I certainly enjoy watching England women's team, although I have no interest in the domestic league. The standard of the national team has improved noticeably over the past 10 years and will no doubt continue to do so. Of course the broadcasters should hype it up. Why shouldn't they? Good luck to the team.

grecIAN Harris

I certainly enjoy watching England women's team, although I have no interest in the domestic league. The standard of the national team has improved noticeably over the past 10 years and will no doubt continue to do so. Of course the broadcasters should hype it up. Why shouldn't they? Good luck to the team.
I don't see anything wrong with advertising it and getting it out but don't set it up to be something it isn't and, currently has little chance hitting the expectations. Would expect a City League match to get the build up of a Premier League match if it was on TV? Of course you wouldn't and if you were a neutral and it got the big build up you'd be more than likely disappointed because the quality of the game didn't live up to expectation.

Boyo

I don't see anything wrong with advertising it and getting it out but don't set it up to be something it isn't and, currently has little chance hitting the expectations. Would expect a City League match to get the build up of a Premier League match if it was on TV? Of course you wouldn't and if you were a neutral and it got the big build up you'd be more than likely disappointed because the quality of the game didn't live up to expectation.
Excuse me Mr Advertiser, you're making our product look a bit too good. Could you re-do this please, but make it look a little worse than this. Thank you.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Vyvyan said "Bored, bored, bored....."