• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Missing it Already.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Women's and Men's boxing are on the same cards. But that's the way boxing works by having a number of fights on the card. Now we are seeing some Women's fights top the bill and drag in good attendances as their profile rises and so does their support. That is much like Athletics in having mixed meetings. The Women's Hundred runs alongside the Men's. But that

The danger though of running tournaments together is obviously the danger of being overshadowed by the more established tournament. Any World Cup or Euro's tend to have three live games a day as it is. I doubt there would be the necessary bandwidth to double that output across four weeks with the TV companies, let alone the audience.

I thought this was all about over promoting or hyping anyway? It's the biggest competitions in Women's football, they are going to get promoted by the TV companies that have the rights as they do for the Men's. That's not really anything to do with the sport. It is TV's demand.
I was talking in more domestic terms with regards our own National game.

grecIAN Harris

Apologies if I'm missing something.

The two sports you mention are set up with either a multidiscipline arena or multiple courts venue.
I'm not sure how the logistics would work on this with single pitch stadiums.
Hence why I said it would be a problem in the depths of winter. During the better months, in terms of weather, I would think pitches can deal with two games on the bounce.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Full agreement with Ian. Ramone’s comment, even if it’s meant to be a "joke", is unnecessary
As was your comment calling someone a "dumbass radio commentator" on another thread which wasnt meant to be a joke.

Rosencrantz

I was talking in more domestic terms with regards our own National game.
But that would still require good levels of promotion and it has already been seen that a stand alone games with good promotion can get in decent attendances. City v Argyle at the Park for example. Several examples in the WSL. At our level, changing facilities would be a problem as well with back to back games.

As far as I can see the women's game is going in the right direction but still has a lot of room to develop into. It needs to do that on its own terms and that requires good promotion. Comparisons with the Men's game is only going to hold things back. If it's not for you then it's not for you. But from what I have seen the standards are getting better all the time. Certainly the Chelsea v Man Utd game was very entertaining, had a good level of skill, was certainly quicker than in the past and had quite a few full blooded challenges which you like.

Spoonz Red E

I might have misunderstood Ian's '2 games on the bounce'

I'm thinking of a Sunday game at SJP following a Saturday men's game with the women's game being promoted at the men's game and a ticket deal to cover both.

If it's two games on the same day I'm not so sure.
It would either be a midday kickoff for the women (quite hot on good weather days) or an early evening kick off which wouldn't work well in terms of Saturday nights.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I might have misunderstood Ian's '2 games on the bounce'

I'm thinking of a Sunday game at SJP following a Saturday men's game with the women's game being promoted at the men's game and a ticket deal to cover both.

If it's two games on the same day I'm not so sure.
It would either be a midday kickoff for the women (quite hot on good weather days) or an early evening kick off which wouldn't work well in terms of Saturday nights.
Can I just say I'm really looking forward to your 10,000th post Spoonz.

Something to celebrate in these bleak footballless months.

grecIAN Harris

I hope anybody who is 'missing it already' watched the Sheffield United - Nottingham Forest game this afternoon, a cracking game to watch.

IndoMike

Hence why I said it would be a problem in the depths of winter. During the better months, in terms of weather, I would think pitches can deal with two games on the bounce.
Sorry, Harris. I'm still with this.
If a broadcaster buys the rights to a sporting event you can bet your arse that in the contract the broadcaster promises to promote the broadcast as much as possible in order to satisfy advertisers.
And, as a general point, AFAIK, the greater proportion of the population of the UK is made up of women : so hardly a minority group.

Antony Moxey

Sorry, Harris. I'm still with this.
If a broadcaster buys the rights to a sporting event you can bet your arse that in the contract the broadcaster promises to promote the broadcast as much as possible in order to satisfy advertisers.
And, as a general point, AFAIK, the greater proportion of the population of the UK is made up of women : so hardly a minority group.
You think women’s sport should target women viewers? Why do you think women will watch just because it’s female participants? My wife’s not a huge sports fan but she’s not going to change that and start watching just because it’s female athletes.

It’s like only listening to male singers if you’re a man. The sex of the viewer/listener is a complete irrelevance compared to the set of the participant, it’s the quality of what’s on offer that’s important.

IndoMike

You think women’s sport should target women viewers? Why do you think women will watch just because it’s female participants? My wife’s not a huge sports fan but she’s not going to change that and start watching just because it’s female athletes.

It’s like only listening to male singers if you’re a man. The sex of the viewer/listener is a complete irrelevance compared to the set of the participant, it’s the quality of what’s on offer that’s important.
You misinterpreted my comments totally, with a big t I was talking about women's rights, not women viewers.