• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Missing it Already.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
IMMSMR you were a big fan of woman's football and followed your daughter's progress in football assiduously.
Your memory doesn't serve you very well Mike. I do follow Chloe's progress as any father would but I have stated many a time had it not been for Chloe playing I would have little time for the womens game at the present moment as I find it very slow and rather dull and it is nowhere near the standard of it's comparative level, ie Men's Premier League v Women's Premier League, Men's County League v Women's County League. It will always be slower due to natural physicality but I do accept that it will improve as time moves on but at the moment it's like trying to compare salt with sugar and the likes of Sky and the BBC trying to force feed it will not change that.

Ooooo hello! Sounds like someone feels threatened 😂
Threatened???? Not in the least. Why should I?? Or is that just a PC assumption because I'm calling it as I find it............... 🙄
Thank goodness men's football isn't hyped up.

Ever.
Whilst I agree that men's football is hyped Mike, particularly by the aformentioned broadcasting firms and their counterparts, in the main the men's game does tend to back the hype up but you're talking just about top level football whichever sex. I'm talking in general right across the board. The womens game as a whole isn't even close to it's male counterpart at whatever you want to draw comparisions.

manc grecian

Why do you have to compare the two? As soon as you do you start to sound silly. Same sport but should be enjoyed without comparison same as cricket, rugby etc

grecIAN Harris

Why do you have to compare the two? As soon as you do you start to sound silly. Same sport but should be enjoyed without comparison same as cricket, rugby etc
The broadcasters are trying to push it like it's on the same level which is where the comparisons start to be drawn but as for a stand alone reasoning as to why I don't enjoy it read the first line of my reply to Mike. I don't think you can get it much straighter than that.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will enjoy the break from football. Need to catch up with some gardening!

IndoMike

Your memory doesn't serve you very well Mike. I do follow Chloe's progress as any father would but I have stated many a time had it not been for Chloe playing I would have little time for the womens game at the present moment as I find it very slow and rather dull and it is nowhere near the standard of it's comparative level, ie Men's Premier League v Women's Premier League, Men's County League v Women's County League. It will always be slower due to natural physicality but I do accept that it will improve as time moves on but at the moment it's like trying to compare salt with sugar and the likes of Sky and the BBC trying to force feed it will not change that.

Threatened???? Not in the least. Why should I?? Or is that just a PC assumption because I'm calling it as I find it............... 🙄

Whilst I agree that men's football is hyped Mike, particularly by the aformentioned broadcasting firms and their counterparts, in the main the men's game does tend to back the hype up but you're talking just about top level football whichever sex. I'm talking in general right across the board. The womens game as a whole isn't even close to it's male counterpart at whatever you want to draw comparisions.
Firstly, I apologize for the bad memory. I remembered how you followed your daughter around the matches and how (rightly) proud you were of her, so I assumed you were very much pro women's footie.
About Sky etc.over- promoting the women's tournament, I guess that's not a bad thing - it's normal they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Look how some boxing matches are hyped up. We live in a hyped-up world.
About women's football, I'm not a big fan, but I'm also not a fan of the EPL or any league that isn't City's league. Tbh, I've got bored with the hyper- materialism of football and rugby bores me even more. I'd prefer to watch England v US women's footie than England v Italy men's rugby.
My point is that it is all relative. If there was no men's footie you'd probably watch women's with more enthusiasm. But, of course, nobody is forced to watch anything

grecIAN Harris

Firstly, I apologize for the bad memory. I remembered how you followed your daughter around the matches and how (rightly) proud you were of her, so I assumed you were very much pro women's footie.
About Sky etc.over- promoting the women's tournament, I guess that's not a bad thing - it's normal they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Look how some boxing matches are hyped up. We live in a hyped-up world.
About women's football, I'm not a big fan, but I'm also not a fan of the EPL or any league that isn't City's league. Tbh, I've got bored with the hyper- materialism of football and rugby bores me even more. I'd prefer to watch England v US women's footie than England v Italy men's rugby.
My point is that it is all relative. If there was no men's footie you'd probably watch women's with more enthusiasm. But, of course, nobody is forced to watch anything
There's a lot of hype/over hype in many things in our lives, not just sport or football in particular to gain attention. Some things justify the build up, others don't. For me, as it currently stands, womens football doesn't. The trouble with womens football it's not just about hyping the product with the broadcasters, it's about being seen to be politically correct over equality (and it's not just football, the same goes for cricket and rugby also) but unfortunately the quality of the product does not justify the hype irrespective of being politically correct with equality. It simply isn't good enough.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. One thing I've learnt over the last couple of years is that there's more to life than football.

Colesman Ballz

I guess KMT will be looking to relax a bit by dispatching a few cricket balls over the boundary ropes in the coming weeks !

Spoonz Red E

There's a lot of hype/over hype in many things in our lives, not just sport or football in particular to gain attention. Some things justify the build up, others don't. For me, as it currently stands, womens football doesn't. The trouble with womens football it's not just about hyping the product with the broadcasters, it's about being seen to be politically correct over equality (and it's not just football, the same goes for cricket and rugby also) but unfortunately the quality of the product does not justify the hype irrespective of being politically correct with equality. It simply isn't good enough.
But we don't have 'politically correct' equality. Far from it.

Men's football is far bigger than women's football which gets a fraction of the coverage.
There is no threat to men's football which carries on in it's multi-competition, multi-channel, multi-billion pound way with all the several page football specials the tabloid press can throw at it.
Why does the much smaller space given to women's football irk you so much?
It's hardly wall to wall.

Women's football coverage concentrates on a few major tournaments and the top league in the UK.
The latest TV deal was worth just £7m pounds and hailed as a breakthrough.
Compare that with media investment in the men's game.

What we are witnessing now is making up for decades of disinterest and worse in the women's game including a 50 year FA ban.
How does women's football grow as a sport without promotion?

It's catch up - and it will take a while.

If the hype annoys you - there are 100s of other sports covered across all media - but be warned, each and every one come with their own hype.

IndoMike

Basically you're saying that because you
don't value women's football then women's matches should not be broadcast and even if they are broadcast they shouldn't be publicised because that is being politically correct. And what about the hundreds of thousands of fans (if not more) that do like women's football? Don't they have the right to be informed of upcoming matches, schedules, important players etc?