• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Minimum Alcohol Pricing.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
With increasing state control of all of our lives in the past 9 months,another health initiative is coming down the tracks.Minimum pricing for alcoholic units(this has already been implemented by the devolved Scottish Administration)

It would not make a great deal of difference to me because I have had enough after a couple of pints once a week these days 😁 plus the occasional G & T at home.

The problem with a regressive tax like this,it will always hit those who can least afford it.
In the article below it mentions saving 5,000 lives in a decade.250 a year.Twice that many lives are taken daily in the pandemic at the moment.
The numbers quoted will not sway too many people that it’s a great idea.

I personally think it’s a step too far,it’s not going stop folk over indulging,it will just leave them will less cash at the end of the night.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is there any evidence that it has been a success in Scotland?

Alistair20000

Yet more micro management from an increasingly overbearing State.

Oldsmobile-88

Is there any evidence that it has been a success in Scotland?
Not that I have seen.It was implemented a couple of years ago...Buckfast Tonic Wine is still a big seller in
east Glasgow I would imagine 😁

STURTZ

A form of prohibition which didn't work for the United States and was repealed after spawning black marketeering and crime. It's perfectly possible and indeed easy to manufacture alcahol and banning it would make it more attractive to the underclasses. Better that it's kept above the law and available in order that it can be monitored and controlled. Raise the price of alcahol and it will rightly be seen as penalising the poorer members of society.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A little off topic however it's £5 - £6 a pint in some westcountry pubs these days. Where will it end ?

Oldsmobile-88

A little off topic however it's £5 - £6 a pint in some westcountry pubs these days. Where will it end ?
You expect to pay that in some of the flash pubs in the West End of London,not in this backwater.
The most I paid before the last lockdown was £4.60 for a IPA(it was rather nice)it was a Cafe Bar type place so you are likely to pay a premium.
The other place I occasionally pop in for a drink was the All Stars Bar £3.60 for a decent IPA which is a fair price.
I think we will all be paying more going forward to pay for the extra staff & safety measures bars.

iscalad

Yet more micro management from an increasingly overbearing State.
Bleddy communists.

Mr Jinx

And people wonder why 'Spoons are so successful!

Banksy

I make most of my own in my micro shed.😀