• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT Exeter v Chelsea : PJT 7pm KO

SimonBB

Do you know that either can take one? If it needs a change why not just give it to someone we know can take a decent one like Sweens.
Brown put his in the top bins tonight. Nombe scored bottom corner

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We came up against a very talented side tonight who were very comfortable in their shape and system. We looked like a bit of a cobbled together side, especially in midfield with a centre back, No 10 and a left winger filling a midfield three, until late in the game when the subs came on. Not just MJ and Jevani but also having a recognised centre midfielder in Michael Lilley helped.

For all their good play, Chelsea didn't really test Harry Lee as much as they should apart from the tip over in the second half. I think Pond looks a good prospect. He got caught a couple of times before half time in behind as has been said, but that was as much defending high as a team and not getting pressure on the ball. Given a year or two to fill out and get a good loan somewhere, possibly the second half of this season, and he could be knocking on the door of the first team.

Edwards looks like fun despite playing in an unfamiliar midfield position tonight. At the very least he is going to be a game changer off the bench for us. Rowe showed a few nice touches but got lost against their RWB pidgeon plus catcher. Just as well he didn't have the final ball to match his pace.

Changing shape to a more 4-3-3 late on pushed Chelsea back as they looked to see the game out and we got the penalty from that pressure when Seymour showed bright movement to get in front of the Chelsea defender and got brought down.

Despite the penalty shootout, you would definitely take a point from that game.

Oldsmobile-88

Most importantly it doesn't sound like there are any new injury concerns. Fingers crossed
Everyone looked ok.A game of very few fouls.

Key had a poor game,Nombe looked off the pace all game,a good bit of match practice against a good young Chelsea team though.
Their number 53,Rankine ? Looked a bit special.

Great to see so many younger supporters at SJP this evening with their parents.The earlier KO time & it still being the school holidays helped,but the club should take credit for the proactive admission pricing for this game.

scottus86

Do you know that either can take one? If it needs a change why not just give it to someone we know can take a decent one like Sweens.
Did you see their penalties tonight?

budegrecian

Brown's penalties, both tonight & V Wycombe were excellent.

grecIAN Harris

Did you see their penalties tonight?
If I had, do you think I'd be asking the question????? :unsure:

scottus86

If I had, do you think I'd be asking the question????? :unsure:
They both took top drawer penalties. I wouldn't have mentioned them if they hadn't.

If Seymour was good enough to start, he would also be on the list of good penalty takers.

Jay is quality, but his penalties have always been awful.

To be fair you asked if I knew, and I did.

Colesman Ballz

Or Seymour ! :unsure:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We came up against a very talented side tonight who were very comfortable in their shape and system. We looked like a bit of a cobbled together side, especially in midfield with a centre back, No 10 and a left winger filling a midfield three, until late in the game when the subs came on. Not just MJ and Jevani but also having a recognised centre midfielder in Michael Lilley helped.

For all their good play, Chelsea didn't really test Harry Lee as much as they should apart from the tip over in the second half. I think Pond looks a good prospect. He got caught a couple of times before half time in behind as has been said, but that was as much defending high as a team and not getting pressure on the ball. Given a year or two to fill out and get a good loan somewhere, possibly the second half of this season, and he could be knocking on the door of the first team.

Edwards looks like fun despite playing in an unfamiliar midfield position tonight. At the very least he is going to be a game changer off the bench for us. Rowe showed a few nice touches but got lost against their RWB pidgeon plus catcher. Just as well he didn't have the final ball to match his pace.

Changing shape to a more 4-3-3 late on pushed Chelsea back as they looked to see the game out and we got the penalty from that pressure when Seymour showed bright movement to get in front of the Chelsea defender and got brought down.

Despite the penalty shootout, you would definitely take a point from that game.

Sound like we had a pretty much a scratch team so they did well to compete and keep the score respectable. Also pleasing that the senior players were able to come on and make a difference and get us back in the game.
These games are always tantalising as I'd love to see more of Pond and Dodd but know that realistically it will be a while before they are ready for regular first team football.

Ex-ciderrr

It wasnt the greatest of games in all honesty, but i was impressed with what i saw of chelsea who were big not afraid of a tackle and knocked the ball around with confidence, and also some of what we done last night. Pond looks a player, tall not bad on the ball either although he did get turned inside out and was chasing the player that scored in vein for Chelseas goal. Edwards was full of energy and a real live wire, i almost want to say he had a free role within the system last night, he was all over the pitch always on the ball and always wanting the ball. If these games are for players to go out and impress MT then edwards done just that. Rowe like someone already mentioned in the thread had his hands tied slightly by the opposition RB/RWB but its clear to see he is way off the starting 11 at this stage. I did feel Seymour and Nombe were somewhat starved of service and had very little to work off other than scraps, that changed a little towards the end when Brown and MJ were in the fold. I know he won the penalty and fair play for doing so but other than that and scoring in the shootout yet again seymour was largely anonymous. Dodd not bad at all again i do like him and hope he can get that loan to get regular football and then see where we are at with him. Great to see young Michael Lilley make his 1st team debut too, exactly what we do in this comp in giving young players that opportunity, booked to stop a chelsea breakaway but he did himself no harm at all and just played the ball simply and did the basics right.

like i say overall not the greatest of games, we were starved of service up top and chelsea probably edged it over 90 but it was minutes in the tank for those players that played and match sharpness for nombe grounds rowe seymour etc. i dont know how many points we got last night ? i know you get a bonus or something but unsure on the ts and cs of it all! 1.6k decent crowd too. On to Harrogate though, 0-2 winners at Orient last night, tough game in store.