• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Maxted or Ward

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it is when “preventing a goal scoring opportunity” that can still result in a red card!
Thats my understanding too. If a keeper comes out and handballs outside of the area when a forward is bearing down, that is obviously a red card. Morecambes keeper repeatedly handled the ball outside the area by a lot! But clearances like that dont count. I dont really understand why the linesman wasnt all over that from the start, it was so blatent.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thats my understanding too. If a keeper comes out and handballs outside of the area when a forward is bearing down, that is obviously a red card. Morecambes keeper repeatedly handled the ball outside the area by a lot! But clearances like that dont count. I dont really understand why the linesman wasnt all over that from the start, it was so blatent.
As I posted earlier, and as you know, at least under the Laws of the Game (which many referees and assistants don't apply; most players and managers don't seem to have read; and certainly don't understand), when he is outside his area the goalkeeper should be treated the same as any other player. I can just about get officials considering that carrying the ball outside your area to kick it down the pitch is not "deliberate handball" and it is certainly not denying an opponent a goalscoring opportunity, but it's still handball. And if I was the ref I would certainly warn a goalkeeper and penalise him if he did it again. It's a bit like the bowler warning a batsman who is backing up too far before running him out.

Never seen it done, though.