• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Maurice Setters RIP

Martin Weiler

Very sad news. Honiton boy who was an example of City’s youth development in a different era. Went on to have a career at the very top with Manchester United.

Grecian Archive entry:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
And of course Jack Charlton's assistant.

GJW

Just seen this on the Coventry site

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Other comments on The Obituary thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone who has perhaps been overlooked a little when talking about City players of the past, possibly because he played so few times for the club. However, very few local lads who started off at City have gone on to have better careers in football.

Martin Weiler

Excellent point. Setters fits in a group of local lads who played only a handful of first team games for City but went on to appear at the top level. From different eras you have people like Bastin (17 games then to Arsenal and England) and Ampadu (13 games then to Chelsea and Wales). Once a Grecian....

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So sad to hear this as I knew Maurice after growing up in Honiton. The lads always enjoyed him bringing Bobby Charlton home to his parents' place and then having a couple a couple of pints in his local, the Star.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
So sad to hear this as I knew Maurice after growing up in Honiton. The lads always enjoyed him bringing Bobby Charlton home to his parents' place and then having a couple a couple of pints in his local, the Star.
I'm sure I remember Maurice playing left-half for City. Of course I was a little tacker then and Dad always got to the Park early so I got on the cowshed fence opposite the 18 yard line. Even after he died I always tried to stand in the same spot.

PeteUSA

Maurice made 11 appearances for City between 1952-55. This was back in the days when City players always played pre season against Exeter Cricket Club at Pennsylvania. I clearly remember that Setters was one hell of a fast bowler, with a tremendous run up!

Alistair20000

Maurice made 11 appearances for City between 1952-55. This was back in the days when City players always played pre season against Exeter Cricket Club at Pennsylvania. I clearly remember that Setters was one hell of a fast bowler, with a tremendous run up!
Did you have to face him in the cricket matches Pete ? My info is that you were as difficult to get out as the curmudgeonly Geoff Boycott.

BTW Grecian Archive says he made 10 appearances for us