• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - What do we think so far?

i8cornwall

Ah, so basically you don’t know. is there anything else you’ve made up that you’re passing on as fact?
pretty sure it was actually reported by the press.

while we are on the subject of passing stuff off as fact, tell me about these re elections and play off you use to dream about in the 80’s?

dontpassback

Fair enough Malcs, thanks for the correction. However, it doesn’t take away from how poor we were in general pre Tis. I think a lot of people seem to take it for granted that we should regularly be getting promotions or at least challenging for them when by and large we’ve been a struggling mid table bottom division team with occasional flirtations with the division above.
Apart from a good cup run under Godfrey and terry coopers promotion team,you are correct,away wins were like hens teeth and we seemed to trouble the bottom half of the table rather than the top half

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster

while we are on the subject of passing stuff off as fact, tell me about these re elections and play off you use to dream about in the 80’s?
What do you want to know? Unlike budgets which are often speculated about but rarely known our re-elections and play offs misses are in the public domain and easily found.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

Who mentioned the 80's? Mr Moxey referred to the whole era prior to Tisdale turning up, methinks you are nit picking for the sake of it!

If you are interested in the past, have a glimpse at these finishes and you'll see what we had to endure over the years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Exeter_City_F.C._seasons

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Curious looking at the wiki page above the prolific goalscorers we have had - not. And people give Bowman sh!t! 2 20 goal strikers all this century, sometimes we all need a reality check

Dannyred

Curious looking at the wiki page above the prolific goalscorers we have had - not. And people give Bowman sh!t!
In a good team creating chance after chance you cannot compare the others to how many chances bowman has missed this season.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
In a good team creating chance after chance you cannot compare the others to how many chances bowman has missed this season.
Sorry but Bowman over the years hasn't been the only culprit. St Jayden of Stockley missed a fair few from what I can recall

elginCity

.....my main question is: Why were the Northampton players so super fit, while we couldnt string two passes together! Did we not train sufficiently prior to a match of such magnatude? Or left to their own devices, did our players not maintain their fitness to the level that Taylor required? Theres an awful lot of trust bestowed on the squad that they will keep as fit as possible unsupervised.......
One post lockdown scenario has always been the play offs, so fair comment to suggest squad fitness wasn't at the level you'd expect. Northampton certainly looked far sharper in all areas, although it does help playing on the front foot.

Remember being impressed by the team's increased fitness levels last season, it appeared to have improved markedly compared to his predecessor's teams. The Strength and Conditioning Coach was proving to be a wise investment; fitter teams and shorter injury recovery time gives an edge. Anticipate Matt will be getting it back on track, he believes in it.

i8cornwall

Who mentioned the 80's? Mr Moxey referred to the whole era prior to Tisdale turning up, methinks you are nit picking for the sake of it!

If you are interested in the past, have a glimpse at these finishes and you'll see what we had to endure over the years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Exeter_City_F.C._seasons
im very aware of what people had to “endure” In the past, I’m just always confused as to why our past is always used to justify accepting what we have now?

Grecian Max

Whilst history plays a part, one of the big issues the club had when I started supporting City cicra 1995 was this idea that ECFC "will always be shit".

Football - as with any sector - isn't a static thing, there are so many variables for success that history is only one factor. Exeter as a city has changed fairly dramatically, even since I left in 2005. It has grown in population and has had a lot of investment particularly after the Met Office moved down. Compare that to the decaying centres of Oldham, Rochdale, Rotherham etc and I think it's fair to say Exeter City do have advantages over other clubs when it comes to chasing sponsorship, standard of living, expendable wages for watching live football etc etc - so whilst success isn't guaranteed we are fairly well set. Especially with the academy now.

We're a completely different club to what has gone before, and in my view you have to move forward and keep pushing for the best. League One football isn't far beyond this city of football club and the idea that history weighs us down is a parochial attitude.

MT is on a years roller as far as I'm aware a deserves more time as he has achieved enough to earn it. But we must keep looking forward and now we have the freedom to move on the manager if things aren't coming together. It's competitive football ffs.