• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - What do we think so far?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mr Taylor seems to be coming in for a lot of criticism following our dismal toothless demise at Wembley; and justly so. What the hell actually happened for us to lose by four clear goals? And I dont recall a shot on target from us! It also p!sses me off greatly when I see opposition defenders laughing between themselves, as was the case between their underworked keeper and his fellow defenders.

I haven't heard a proper explanation of Matt Taylors opinion, although there could be one somewhere. In any event, my main question is: Why were the Northampton players so super fit, while we couldnt string two passes together! Did we not train sufficiently prior to a match of such magnatude? Or left to their own devices, did our players not maintain their fitness to the level that Taylor required? Theres an awful lot of trust bestowed on the squad that they will keep as fit as possible unsupervised. Luckily for us, Colchester couldnt get around very well, meaning we progressed to Wembley; and what a damp squib that was! All the fans who paid out for cardboard cutouts, and the viewing public were totally let down! And I failed to see any passion from our manager, even as the fourth goal went in.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that for me, the jury is well and truly out regarding our managers abilities and suitability for the job. I well recall before covid 19 that (some) of the natives were restless on here about MT's strange team selections, and choice of squad members. We had fallen away from the top three, and attendances were down, due in part I'm sure with the pretty rough level of football that was getting served up. I suspect iFollow cashed in somewhat during that period.

Anyway thats my feelings. MT looks like a nice likeable bloke, and he generally gives a reasonable interview after games, and I wish him all the best. Next seasons players will have been selected solely by him; they'll all be his choice. How things work out during that campaign will make or break MT.

Banksy

Fair summing up.I’ve demoted him to Prince for the moment He’ll be crowned King as soon as we get promotion!
On a serious note though , I wonder whether we can ever compete with all these clubs with their sugar daddies who lump money in willy nilly to achieve promotion. We’ve no such luxury and have to survive with tightened purse strings , so in view of that you could say we’ve over achieved.

Antony Moxey

He’s young, inexperienced and learning the ropes. He’ll make mistakes along the way but by and large I think he’s getting more right than wrong.

It’s funny but before Tisdale turned up we’d never got anywhere near the play-offs, had a mere three promotions in 90-odd years of existence and had to apply for re-election twenty plus times - more than any other club in the league, yet now it’s apparently a national disaster to get to three play-off finals in four years and cause for a public enquiry because we haven’t gained automatic promotion in a number of years when the gap between previous promotions was at least twice as long.

People expect too much too soon - expectation has shot through the roof while tolerance has dropped through the floor.

i8cornwall

MT deserves one more season in charge, if that doesn’t result in promotion then maybe it’s time city and him parted company.

he has been given a larger budget to work with over two of those three seasons but some of those signing have left a lot to be desired. maybe in hindsight the club should have installed an experienced director of football to work with MT once kinder left last summer.

the sugar daddy thing is a different argument and one we have had on here on a few occasions now, with what has happened with covid and the last few seasons of disappointment, I think the time is slowly approaching that the trust needs to decide if it can push the club onto that next level or if it should find outside investment. Rightly or wrongly either decision there will disenfranchise supporters of the club.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're deluded of you think changing a manager after 3 seasons is productive.

Stability over time builds results. Fact.

arthur

You're deluded of you think changing a manager after 3 seasons is productive.

Stability over time builds results. Fact.
Cutting your losses yields results also. I was overjoyed after watching Matt's first game in charge and have backed him ever since.

But there is a fear he has plateaued and, as Pete says, the pre lockdown form was concerning. I think Pete's post is a fair and accurate analysis - next season will demonstrate whether he kicks on or remains stuck. The decision about whether to continue employing him can be made on the basis of this evidence.

Antony Moxey

MT deserves one more season in charge, if that doesn’t result in promotion then maybe it’s time city and him parted company.

he has been given a larger budget to work with over two of those three seasons but some of those signing have left a lot to be desired. maybe in hindsight the club should have installed an experienced director of football to work with MT once kinder left last summer.

the sugar daddy thing is a different argument and one we have had on here on a few occasions now, with what has happened with covid and the last few seasons of disappointment, I think the time is slowly approaching that the trust needs to decide if it can push the club onto that next level or if it should find outside investment. Rightly or wrongly either decision there will disenfranchise supporters of the club.
Can you post up what the last three seasons’ playing budgets have been please?

IndoMike

Pete. A ban on spectators attending matches definitely had an impact on attendances.
However, in those glorious pre -covid days
when the words "self distancing" weren't mentioned in every sentence our average home attendance this season is around 5k, IINM That compares very favourably with our previous attendances in L2.
Anyway, can't stop, going fishing ....

TSW1389

I feel Matt has done an okay job over the past 2 seasons. He's really tried to change the back room staff to a more modern set up with S&C coach and sport science side influence.
Tactically he has had his ups and downs. Sometimes seems to willing to go with safe option and trusted more experienced players. Mid season this year Matt Jay seem to be having an influence on games when coming on and was more in form than Nicky Law for example. Selection got a little stale and predictable which may have led to us being "found out". We've generally been solid in defence but prone to the occasional blow out and conceding 3+ in a game.
Attack wise main feeling I get from watching is the players just dont seem to believe in Bowman or whoever is in the box to actually get in to space or onto the end of crosses. Being solid at the back but not scoring goals is not going to get us out of this division. We need a goal scorer or at least a tactical approach that doesn't revolve around a single striker working hard.
Signing wise has been the usual hit and misses you get in league 2. Ajose could of stayed fit and scored the goals we all expect but he's just been a flop so far. Bowman has been okay, massive boots to fill after the strikers/Attackers we've had in the past 4/5years (Watkins, Stockley, wheeler and possibly even Reid). He's too willing to work hard and often out of position by this. Need a lazier striker who plays between the width of the box and a focal point. Bowman is not this for me he needs a partner or at least runners from midfield. Atangana, A Martin, Law, Maxted and Ward have been good. L Martin, Parkes have done what I'd expect. Jayden Brown, the young Bristol centre back (went to Torquay after us) and the Aussie right back were total flops. Warren was brought in to do a job and got injured loved a Torquay by all accounts
This new season I truly believe we will see what a true Taylor team may be. No need to even think of changing manager, the fact Lincoln came calling earlier in the year says Matt is doing well. we are over achieving compared to what our history as a club.
The trust model is what it is and provides stability and no need to buy our way to a position in a league for someone to get bored walk away and club to implode in debt.

Reactions: Ash

i8cornwall

Can you post up what the last three seasons’ playing budgets have been please?
what’s the point you only like living in the past as your opening post in this thread shows!