• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
But we still have the training ground redevelopment to pay for, the costs of which are likely to be higher than originally budgeted for. It was also stated that we expected to receive, I think, 1.2 million of windfall income that would be needed to fund the redevelopment. While our recent income is above expectation I would guess we are still somewhat short of that figure.

More generally, it was stated a couple of years ago at, I think, a Trust AGM that the club needed to match the ambition of Matt Taylor. Well, I think with the new pitch and the training ground redevelopment that has been done. Conversely, Matt Taylor has shown that he can be trusted with a larger playing budget.
We didn't know that we would get promoted to League One when the decision was made to redevelop the training ground, hence that decision
was made based on a League 2 budget, including League 2 crowds, League 2 sponsorship and the twoLeague 2 "participation" payments.
Regarding the extra cost of the redevelopment, wouldn't we have been insured against the original contractor pulling out and/or having to pay
compensation?
Anyway, let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. All I'm saying is, aside from investing in players by just using the money saved on
released players, if Matt needed another 200-300k for the salaries of a couple of really good players, then he should get it. A successful side brings in more
more money than a less successful one. If they are good they also become a financial asset.

andrew p long

So can any of those who understand betting websites more than I do (not difficult) point to a specific bet where you can put money on MT *not* getting the Charlton job and more importantly what odds the bookies are prepared to give you ? (I'm following the line of argument that bookies make more money than punters, but only so far see explicit odds offered on MT becoming Charlton manager)

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

All players under contract, that list is worth c£3.5m+ to purchase, Charlton don’t have loads of money and a owner hated by fans (after a previous owner which they also hated)

I think MT will leave but taking any of those with him is fanciful.

Our summer targeting world be stuffed though.
Matt Taylor is not going to Charlton. There's more chance of those recent sighting of the Loch Ness Monster being genuine than MT going to Charlton...

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So can any of those who understand betting websites more than I do (not difficult) point to a specific bet where you can put money on MT *not* getting the Charlton job and more importantly what odds the bookies are prepared to give you ? (I'm following the line of argument that bookies make more money than punters, but only so far see explicit odds offered on MT becoming Charlton manager)
As things stand, I'm not aware of any sites where you can lay Matt Taylor for the Charlton job, ie stake money on him not getting it.

You can lay managers not to get jobs on Betfair, but they only tend to open markets on Premier League managerial jobs.

Hypothetically speaking, if Betfair had opened a market on the next Charlton manager, you could expect to lay Matt Taylor at the price he is to get the job, ie circa 1-2. So, for example, if there was someone who wanted to have a £100 on Matt to get the job, you'd take their bet and if he got it you'd pay them £50, if he didn't you'd keep their £100 minus a couple of quid in Betfair commission.

Hope this makes some kinda sense!

Nigel E

I don't think this is a significant enough market to prompt a betting exchange like Betfair to set up a facility to enable punters to trade on this event. I had a quick look and I couldn't find one.

Short odds on an event which has very little money traded on it, doesn't mean much. All it indicates is that the very few bets that have been placed, have nearly all been placed on the same person - Matt Taylor.

So it's just an accounting exercise on the part of the betting firms to limit further liabilities until other candidates start to enter the frame. It doesn't indicate knowledge or probabilities, it's just maths at this stage.

Reactions: Egg

andrew p long

As things stand, I'm not aware of any sites where you can lay Matt Taylor for the Charlton job, ie stake money on him not getting it.

You can lay managers not to get jobs on Betfair, but they only tend to open markets on Premier League managerial jobs.

Hypothetically speaking, if Betfair had opened a market on the next Charlton manager, you could expect to lay Matt Taylor at the price he is to get the job, ie circa 1-2. So, for example, if there was someone who wanted to have a £100 on Matt to get the job, you'd take their bet and if he got it you'd pay them £50, if he didn't you'd keep their £100 minus a couple of quid in Betfair commission.

Hope this makes some kinda sense!
It does! The conclusions I draw are
a) you can't currently get a bet on Matt Taylor *not* getting the Charlton job
b) even if you could it wouldn't be the bookies that would be on the other side of that bet, but some other punter

therefore , supposedly knowledgeable bookies, are prepared to take the risk of losing money if MT gets the Charlton job, but not prepared to risk their own money on him *not* getting the Charlton job.

Therefore the sensible 'you never see a bookie on a bike' comment actually supports the idea that MT won't get the job, rather than the opposite.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think MTs improved budget from last season also included this year so it should still be pretty healthy, plus the extras from promotion, increased attendances etc.

Key will go for 1m+ as well this summer.

Agent Andy

Budget is same as last season , training ground project gone up by 1 million +, could do with selling a couple for millions not thousands , Matt Taylor has said all this and we’re not in a position to up the budget . Does that show lack of ambition or just very sensible 🤷🏻‍♂️

iscalad

Oh my dear God and sweet Jesus.
Obviously you were not following the argument.
G2K has provided you with more info. We receive several hundred thousand extra as participants in League One.
I think Matt Taylor deserves to be allotted a considerable portion of that money - he has earned the right-
to improve the playing side. It's motivation for him to know the club will back him, otherwise he might get p*ssed off and want out.
Since the aforementioned funding is extra to L2 payment and average attendances should be closer to 6k than 5k, plus we have
several assets, yes, I think we should invest more on the playing side, without throwing the boat out.
You speak as if spending any money frightens you...Austerity rules..
great.. I believe Mbappe is available.
Seriously, did you not read that the development at Cliff Hill has risen quite a lot in costs. As work has just begun there, I would think extra resources (money) have been spent there.

eurogrecian

Stuart James' DevonLive article today (https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/strikers-top-priority-exeter-city-7091919) reporting a conversation with MT about future players looks contemporary to me.
If MT is being interviewed for the Charlton job as some say, then he's hiding his game well!