• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Charlton fans are asking why Matt Taylor (who they are impressed with) would want to become manager of Charlton when he would have no say in recruitment. Apparently the father/son ownership set-up and interference also makes it very challenging for whoever is their manager.
Matt, give it another year at City, Pressure the club to unlock their wallet to bring in some quality, and further enhance your reputation by getting us into the top 12 of L1. You and City are meant to be ..

IndoMike

Exactly; I think I've seen one quite in the local media saying that Charlton are considering him for the job. We all know Matt will move on one day but not sure how much a move to London will appeal to him or whether he wants to work for club that appears to be pretty badly run.
He won't go.

DJG.ECFC

I still think it’s the wrong time for him to leave us. In a season or two I would understand it but He’s young, never managed outside league 2, still learning his trade and has built something good here that he can progress. The grass isn’t always greener, yes Charlton have a bigger budget but the expectation will be a lot higher and he’ll be out the door if results don’t come thick and fast.

Red Devon

Michael Appleton has a good reputation for working with academy players and also knows League One inside out…would be very disappointed to see MT go so hope it doesn’t happen.

Bridgy 81

Reckon he might be in line for the Blackburn job , Chorley lad isn’t he 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think the Venkys are still in charge there aren’t they?
If so he’d have to be prepared to work with/for them, although I haven’t heard much about them recently compared to when they took over 10 years ago or so.

iscalad

Charlton fans are asking why Matt Taylor (who they are impressed with) would want to become manager of Charlton when he would have no say in recruitment. Apparently the father/son ownership set-up and interference also makes it very challenging for whoever is their manager.
Matt, give it another year at City, Pressure the club to unlock their wallet to bring in some quality, and further enhance your reputation by getting us into the top 12 of L1. You and City are meant to be ..
What wallet would that be??

ExmouthMart

What wallet would that be??
That’s what I was thinking…… why do people think we have a hidden stash of money?! If we don’t sell players we have no money. I wonder if when Watkins retires we negotiated a percentage of his pension?!……

tonykellowfan

Money talks. What is MT currently paid by us £50k a year? £100k?

Are you telling my that if he is offered £250k on a 3 year deal he is going to say no to that?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
True I can't remember the last time Exeter City appointed a bad manager, Neil McNab?
If memory serves me correctly that was on back of Alan Ball’s recommendation.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bordering on the ridiculous to try and make any kind of judgement about McNab's managerial ability when you consider Russell & Lewis were pulling the strings and Uri Geller was in the dressing room delivering half-time team-talks.