• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The same price as Paul Tisdale, Joey Barton and Mark Cooper. These bookies know a thing or two.

That said, I am deeply worried about KMT now, as my dad used to say, "You never see a bookie on a bike"
Quite…

I’m not worried if he leaves - we will move on and will have to at some point anyway - I would never want a repeat of the 12 year tenure of true previous bloke

I just look at it and think, yep I reckon he’ll take the job if offered. Timing, the minor level step up but with an advantage of having the club to take up to the next 1 or 2 levels. Could develop and turn himself into Wilder that way.

Agent Andy

Reckon he might be in line for the Blackburn job , Chorley lad isn’t he 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oldsmobile-88

That said, I am deeply worried about KMT now, as my dad used to say, "You never see a bookie on a bike"
My dads saying was “You never see a poor bookie”

I guess there is a bit of mileage in the rumour, why wouldn’t a manager who has proved himself in the past 4 seasons be in the frame for a vacancy at a high profile L1 club.

I would not be surprised if MT moved on to see Dan Green who has had a bit of success with the U23s given a chance.

Bridgy 81

Reckon he might be in line for the Blackburn job , Chorley lad isn’t he 🤷🏻‍♂️
Blackburn maybe waiting on the outcome of this weekend’s play off final.
If Wycombe don’t get promoted they may go for Gareth Ainsworth and he maybe tempted.
He was born there I think and played there as a youth before breaking through at nearby Preston.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
And we can appoint Tony Mowbray.

StudentGrecian

Feel resigned to to losing him now, wish I had the same doubt in the bookies as Egg though!

Be interesting to see if it’s a super swift appointment like MT’s was, or if we will actually entertain applications from outside this time. I like the ethos of an internal appointment, but also think it would be wise to see who we could potentially attract.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Usually, if there's any substance to a rumour like this, you can find at least one journo on Twitter who has some knowledge but if you look right now there's nothing. It's all conjecture off the back of him being on the bookies shortlists.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Usually, if there's any substance to a rumour like this, you can find at least one journo on Twitter who has some knowledge but if you look right now there's nothing. It's all conjecture off the back of him being on the bookies shortlists.
Exactly; I think I've seen one quite in the local media saying that Charlton are considering him for the job. We all know Matt will move on one day but not sure how much a move to London will appeal to him or whether he wants to work for club that appears to be pretty badly run.

STURTZ

It would be interesting to be in Matts head now, does he think he can take this team further, does he feel any obligations to continue at Exeter? If he went who would he look to take with him? Stubbs, Nombe, Key, Hartridge, Brown, Dieng, maybe even be in a position to buy Dawson? Could build a bloody good League 1 side with that nucleus and a few solid Championship players.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel resigned to to losing him now, wish I had the same doubt in the bookies as Egg though!

Be interesting to see if it’s a super swift appointment like MT’s was, or if we will actually entertain applications from outside this time. I like the ethos of an internal appointment, but also think it would be wise to see who we could potentially attract.
When Tisdale left, Matt Taylor felt like the outstanding person to take over. Dan Green is in a similar position now but for some reason doesn't feel like such a strong candidate. I'm not sure whether that's because of his age, the fact he hasn't played professionally or the fact that the club is in less of a crisis so can take more time to work out what it wants to do next.