• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Surprising with all this speculation that nobody has started a thread:

If KMT leaves who next ?
At the moment he's not going anywhere so no thread needed

I'm sure there is a succession plan in place.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There shouldn't be concern about KMT leaving. From Eamo to Inglethorpe to Tisdale to Taylor there has been a theme and an ethos to the appointments.

We will be a very attractive proposition for any coach looking to progress.
And yet both Dolan and Inglethorpe moved on pretty quickly as soon as a more attractive proposition was presented to them.

dommers

That entirely depends on your definition of the word ‘ambitious’. If you mean ‘grasping at anything that gives you more money short term’, then you are right. If however you mean ‘trying to build a sustainable, long term career which hopefully will include the chance to manage at a higher level’, then chucking in a good job with ECFC in the short term, with potential to burnish his reputation further, and going to work for a much less well run club, makes no sense.
I mean having the opportunity to manage a club with much bigger resources and in a league lower than that which they should be in. Compare that to managing a club who's now in the highest league they've been in. Opportunities like this may not come round very often and if we're 15th / 16th next year then we'll have had a reasonable season but his profile won't be as high. If he went and had as successful a 4 years with them he'll be able to make another jump.

By the way your suspicion are wrong and I hope for his sake he doesn't make the same mistake of his predecessor in not moving on when his stock is high.

Last edited:

JCWhoosh

The thing that will attract KMT to other clubs is that he has done so well on a shoestring budget, he won't cost a lot in wages and can easily be got rid of if not performing. It's a win win for teams like Charlton who wants instant success. This is KMT's team now (no over hang from Tisdale) and Im hoping he will want to see how he fairs in league 1 with City. If not, I'm more worried most of the team will follow him.

DJG.ECFC

He’s built something good here I think he’d be silly not to have atleast one season in League one with us rather than moving to another league one club, even if they are a bigger club than us. The expectation at Charlton will be a lot higher than here and he’ll end up out of work in a few months if he doesn’t hit the ground running there.

Last edited:

DJG.ECFC

double post

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

There shouldn't be concern about KMT leaving. From Eamo to Inglethorpe to Tisdale to Taylor there has been a theme and an ethos to the appointments.

We will be a very attractive proposition for any coach looking to progress.
True I can't remember the last time Exeter City appointed a bad manager, Neil McNab?

SaintJames

Can't agree with that at all.

He's taken a punt, sure, but worst case scenario is that he's fired and made available again. Are you so sure that a Lg 1 side, like a Charlton, Ipswich or Portsmouth wouldn't be interested in a Lg 2 title winning manager? He'd get plenty of offers. Far from shot.
If I were a Chairman looking for a new manager would I really want someone who potentially would up sticks and leave as soon as a better comes along? Clearly he will get offers again but has he reduced his pool of possible clubs? I would say he will have done as his stock will surely fall. I havent said he wont ever manage again as that would be plain ridiculous :)

Last edited:

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
If I were a Chairman looking for a new manager would I really want someone who potentially would up sticks and leave as soon as a better comes along? Clearly he will get offers again but has he reduced his pool of possible clubs I would say he will have done as his stock will surely fall. I havent said he wont ever manage again as that would be plain ridiculous :)
No logic there.

If a better offer were to come along, it would mean that he'd done a good job.

In any walk of life, that's exactly what employers are looking for.

SaintJames

No logic there.

If a better offer were to come along, it would mean that he'd done a good job.

In any walk of life, that's exactly what employers are looking for.
Dale Vince is aware that his previous manager has done a good job but are you saying he is fine to see Edwards move on at the drop of a hat?