• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Panic might not be the right word (although where Exeweb is concerned you can easily find it on any subject) but maybe concern. Why else would there be a thread on it?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I make you right. If you look at the FGR manager he has made imo an extremely ill thought out decision given he is a young and very inexperienced manager. A club like Watford will dispense with him by Christmas if not earlier and his reputation will be shot.
Can't agree with that at all.

He's taken a punt, sure, but worst case scenario is that he's fired and made available again. Are you so sure that a Lg 1 side, like a Charlton, Ipswich or Portsmouth wouldn't be interested in a Lg 2 title winning manager? He'd get plenty of offers. Far from shot.

andrew p long

Panic might not be the right word (although where Exeweb is concerned you can easily find it on any subject) but maybe concern. Why else would there be a thread on it?
The concern that he might leave is based on bookies odds of 6/4 favourite (which is what it was when I last looked last night). Though I too am sceptical about bookies odds on managerial appointments.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
There shouldn't be concern about KMT leaving. From Eamo to Inglethorpe to Tisdale to Taylor there has been a theme and an ethos to the appointments.

We will be a very attractive proposition for any coach looking to progress.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't agree with that at all.

He's taken a punt, sure, but worst case scenario is that he's fired and made available again. Are you so sure that a Lg 1 side, like a Charlton, Ipswich or Portsmouth wouldn't be interested in a Lg 2 title winning manager? He'd get plenty of offers. Far from shot.
Tend to agree. For sure, it's a high-risk strategy. However, if you're a rookie League Two manager offered the opportunity to take over at a club which has just been relegated from the Premier League, where you'd be managing a host of internationals, while following in the footsteps of Claudio Ranieri and Roy Hodgson, I think you'd have to give it some serious thought. Appreciate it could all go tits up in a matter of months but, it seems to me, worst-case scenario is that you've left a decent job at FGR and not that you'd never be employable again.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The concern that he might leave is based on bookies odds of 6/4 favourite (which is what it was when I last looked last night). Though I too am sceptical about bookies odds on managerial appointments.
I'd suggest odds of 6-4 on the next manager of a League One club, where the market would be relatively small and the betting extremely volatile, mean slightly less than diddly squat. Scores of managers trade at much shorter prices in theses markets, and don't go on to get the job, just because someone's chanced a few quid on them on the basis of a bit of a hunch. Of course, things can change but if Charlton had a wanted list and MT was at the top of it, I'd expect him to be trading at long odds on - and even then it would be entirely conceivable the job would be of no interest to him.

IndoMike

Well, we agree there is no panic. If you refer to my post above, you will see that I don't think he'll go. His only dilemma is choosing between guaranteed, job security, a happy, work environment where he is also greatly respected by club and fans, and a certain independence or going for the (presumably) much bigger bucks at Charlton. Money, of course, is important but, depending on the individual, not always top priority.
Lastly, Charlton will be receiving a barrage of applicants, many with stronger links to Charlton, with more experience, or with greater status. So it would be by no means guaranteed that they would hire Matt.
It will be a sad day if he goes but it doesn't have to be critical.
Anyway, I think he'll stay. He's got a great job that many of us would die for and, who in their right mind would leave God's own county for some +sh*t tip in Landin? (excuse the French).

Alistair20000

Surprising with all this speculation that nobody has started a thread:

If KMT leaves who next ?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surprising with all this speculation that nobody has started a thread:

If KMT leaves who next ?
See posts 57 and 60 on this thread!

Alistair20000

See posts 57 and 60 on this thread!
Those posts are not part of a focused thread in its own right though.