• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If he's as ambitious as everyone claims and he's offered the job then he has to take it.
You'd pack his bags for him

arthur

Go to soon/go too late. Always a fine judgement call.

At the moment he's unproven outside League 2. If we finished in the top 8 next season his stock would have risen considerably and that would be the time for him to move on. If we finished in the non relegated part of the bottom half of the table he'd be safe for another year with us.

So staying for another year would seem by far the most sensible thing for him to do...

older-codger

Could see him working well with the current back room of Carlisle, Green and Scott Brown.
Always presuming that MT doesn't take them with him

Fareham Grecian

If he's as ambitious as everyone claims and he's offered the job then he has to take it.
That entirely depends on your definition of the word ‘ambitious’. If you mean ‘grasping at anything that gives you more money short term’, then you are right. If however you mean ‘trying to build a sustainable, long term career which hopefully will include the chance to manage at a higher level’, then chucking in a good job with ECFC in the short term, with potential to burnish his reputation further, and going to work for a much less well run club, makes no sense.

I suspect you are using it in the first, derogatory, sense because for some inexplicable reason you have a disdain for Matt.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
That entirely depends on your definition of the word ‘ambitious’. If you mean ‘grasping at anything that gives you more money short term’, then you are right. If however you mean ‘trying to build a sustainable, long term career which hopefully will include the chance to manage at a higher level’, then chucking in a good job with ECFC in the short term, with potential to burnish his reputation further, and going to work for a much less well run club, makes no sense.

I suspect you are using it in the first, derogatory, sense because for some inexplicable reason you have a disdain for Matt.
I make you right. If you look at the FGR manager he has made imo an extremely ill thought out decision given he is a young and very inexperienced manager. A club like Watford will dispense with him by Christmas if not earlier and his reputation will be shot. Matt's stock is equally high but it's a similar situation in some respects as Ollie Watkins. Matt is highly ambitious according to those I know close to him as was Ollie in terms of getting to the top. However, Ollie had the sense to turn down immediate short term moves to Derby and Forest and took a move with probably slightly less money to Brentford. That club really suited Ollie and as a result of just hanging on for a bit longer he has been rewarded handsomly. For Matt to go to a club like Charlton now with all the instability behind the scenes they have would be a game of Russian Roulette I believe. I just hope he wants to see how 'his team' fare in the next set of challenges awaiting them. As you say one more season if we have finished top 10 will give him the pick of a few clubs

IndoMike

The missus usually has the final say

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The missus usually has the final say
Especially, when she's expecting a baby!

IndoMike

Especially, when she's expecting a baby!
True. If his in-laws live ln London, we're farked.

grecIAN Harris

I'm not sure what the panic and speculation is based on. Yes, he is a former Charlton player but are they a club that Matt has a large affection and connection to? I'm not that sure. Charlton are obviously a bigger club but they've had more than their fair share of problems with regards owners and finances in recent years. There would still be a large element insecurity whilst they Charlton are still settling their ship. Ally that with the fact that Charlton are in the same division as City next season and tell me what the really big pull is as I don't see one.

IndoMike

I'm not sure what the panic and speculation is based on. Yes, he is a former Charlton player but are they a club that Matt has a large affection and connection to? I'm not that sure. Charlton are obviously a bigger club but they've had more than their fair share of problems with regards owners and finances in recent years. There would still be a large element insecurity whilst they Charlton are still settling their ship. Ally that with the fact that Charlton are in the same division as City next season and tell me what the really big pull is as I don't see one.
I see no panic. Do you see panic?