• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Tisdale and FGR seems like a perfect fit. Small club in Gloucester is right up his street. He might even get to see out a whole season with them.

MT to Charlton, I just can't see it. Maybe a year or 2 down the line. The expectancy at Charlton will be much higher and if he were to be lower mid table by Xmas he may well be out of a job. Charlton is not going to bring him the riches that you wouldn't begrudge him leaving for. He's ours for at least 1 more season.
Tis is biding his time for the Yeovil job, he needs to start back in Non-League with a long-term project... could see this working well for PT and the Glovers.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
It may well come down to what does he want most? His media messages recently have pointed to nothing other than planning for next season, "we might lose some players" etc.
Take the money and live in material comfort for the rest of your life? Or, let's see how far we can get with this " Group of players"? Think Matt has the balls to chose the latter.

scottus86

It may well come down to what does he want most? His media messages recently have pointed to nothing other than planning for next season, "we might lose some players" etc.
Take the money and live in material comfort for the rest of your life? Or, let's see how far we can get with this " Group of players"? Think Matt has the balls to chose the latter.
I feel like Taylor really like the squad he has built here, just the way he has spoken about them this season and I think he wants to work with the again next season and probably believes he can challenge near the top with this squad. Next summer will probably see him move on regardless.

jimmy

I know it's a totally different man, manager and situation BUT when Tisser left us for MK Franchise...it was interesting for me that he held the job for the exact average time of a football manager (18 months)..

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The dressing room team talk after we got promoted mentioned how it would do well for the ambitions of the players and also he said that it would do his ambitions good. I was a little concerned when I heard that. We need to be thinking of who could replace him if he does go, but I hope to God he doesn't.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The dressing room team talk after we got promoted mentioned how it would do well for the ambitions of the players and also he said that it would do his ambitions good. I was a little concerned when I heard that. We need to be thinking of who could replace him if he does go, but I hope to God he doesn't.
It’s the nature of the beast, sadly. If Taylor stays and keeps us progressing, it’s only a matter of time till he’s poached. I’m sure the higher ups have people in mind should be move on. But one things for sure, when the manager job is vacant, we’ll have a lot of of applicants as this is an attractive job.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So far I've seen nothing to suggest this rumour is anymore than bookmakers making him favourite simply because he's a former Charlton player and has just won promotion. I'm also sure that the club are so thorough that they have a succession plan in place. However, it is an interesting, if hopefully hypothetical, question of who would replace Matt Taylor if he left now; there aren't many obvious candidates that fit the Trust template of a former player who has either had experience managing in non-league or is already involved with younger players at City
- I'm guessing Wayne Carlisle is more comfortable working outside the limelight;
- Steve Tully seems happy working with the kids;
- Andy Woodman would be an interesting redemption story but no idea whether he'd do a good job
- Padraig Amond looks to have the potential to be a great manager but right now is probably a couple of years too early
- Dan Green almost fits the bill but not sure whether he sees himself progressing more as a coach or whether he's interested in becoming a manager; there are also still very few league players who have never played league football
- if we want to change our usual approach David Artell has no connection to City but a good track record of developing youngsters into first team players
- other than that I guess we would probably look to appoint a promising non-league manager who is hopefully ready to step-up

dommers

If he's as ambitious as everyone claims and he's offered the job then he has to take it.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
So far I've seen nothing to suggest this rumour is anymore than bookmakers making him favourite simply because he's a former Charlton player and has just won promotion. I'm also sure that the club are so thorough that they have a succession plan in place. However, it is an interesting, if hopefully hypothetical, question of who would replace Matt Taylor if he left now; there aren't many obvious candidates that fit the Trust template of a former player who has either had experience managing in non-league or is already involved with younger players at City
- I'm guessing Wayne Carlisle is more comfortable working outside the limelight;
- Andy Woodman would be an interesting redemption story but no idea whether he'd do a good job
- Padraig Amond looks to have the potential to be a great manager but right now is probably a couple of years too early
- Dan Green almost fits the bill but not sure whether he sees himself progressing more as a coach or whether he's interested in becoming a manager; there are also still very few league players who have never played league football
- if we want to change our usual approach David Artell has no connection to City but a good track record of developing youngsters into first team players
- other than that I guess we would probably look to appoint a promising non-league manager who is hopefully ready to step-up
You left out Nicky Ajose.🤭

AmberRed

Or Kevin Nicholson who is already head of coaching at the club and got some experience already, albeit in a lower division! Could see him working well with the current back room of Carlisle, Green and Scott Brown.