• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
League 1 if you please.
In Suzi's defence strictly speaking we are still a League 2 club until after the EFL AGM in June.

muppetdodger

Tisdale in the frame (as are many) for the position at FGR !
Would love to see Tisdale bring Village Green back to league 2!!

muppetdodger

I reckon Phil Brown might be in the frame. Just left Barrow having kept them up and opted not to negotiate a new deal with them. Suspect he has something in mind

Cowshed Grecian

This is starting to look more than speculation. Matt wouldn’t go yet would he?

Agent Andy

If we keep / improve the same squad we might do the double promotion we have done before and could be in the Championship by then !
If Ollie gets transferred maybe we will have more £s to strengthen or even bring Cam back !
UTC
This is starting to look more than speculation. Matt wouldn’t go yet would he?
Matt looks very focused on his work and never goes over the top , I would imagine he’s ambitious and wants to get to the top . Charlton will have a decent budget and are a big club at that level and of course he’s a former player so why wouldn’t it interest him.
He would then be able to sign players like Cam and push for the championship should it happen

Cowshed Grecian

Matt looks very focused on his work and never goes over the top , I would imagine he’s ambitious and wants to get to the top . Charlton will have a decent budget and are a big club at that level and of course he’s a former player so why wouldn’t it interest him.
He would then be able to sign players like Cam and push for the championship should it happen
Yeah he will also probably be sacked if he’s not in the top six by xmas also.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt would be a good choice, but clubs like Charlton, who think they are a big club, tend to go for a name who they demand instant results from. Matt is more of a builder. There's also the fact that Matt's job would depend on one man, who is a businessman and probably knows very little about football. Matt wouldn't have so much freedom (within limits) as he does at City and probably would be subject to more. interference.
Considering that Matt seems happy at City, has an exciting challenge ahead, and might think the Charlton job is not the right fit, plus Charlton will have a wide range of experienced candidates and bigger "names" to choose from, I'm betting he won't be going to Charlton.

Cowshed Grecian

Matt would be a good choice, but clubs like Charlton, who think they are a big club, tend to go for a name who they demand instant results from. Matt is more of a builder. There's also the fact that Matt's job would depend on one man, who is a businessman and probably knows very little about football. Matt wouldn't have so much freedom (within limits) as he does at City and probably would be subject to more. interference.
Considering that Matt seems happy at City, has an exciting challenge ahead, and might think the Charlton job is not the right fit, plus Charlton will have a wide range of experienced candidates and bigger "names" to choose from, I'm betting he won't be going to Charlton.
I hope not but the bookies have him as the fave 6/4 on

C j phill

Almost every Club in the football league is different to Exeter in terms of their ownership structure and few will given their manager's the chance to build, in the medium term, in the way we do.

Matt Taylor will face this issue, whichever Club comes calling. I suspect that most managers have personal confidence that they can be successful, if they're given the right resources and this will part of any discussion through an interview process.

The mistake our previous manager appears to have made, with hindsight, was not pursuing an opportunity when an apparently bigger club (Swansea/Southampton) showed interest in taking his services.

My impression is that Matt Taylor won't take that same option and if a career opportunity to progress comes along, he's likely to take it, if the circumstances are right for him.

He's proven himself to be a very good Exeter Ciy manager and I'd like to see how we cope with League 1, under his managership, but by the same token, nothing in football surprises me, and I could see an opportunity coming his way, within a timeframe that most City Supporters would not welcome.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know we all want him to stay and keep going in L1.
However my advice would be don’t make the same mistakes as Tisdale when he was heavily wanted.
He never left and now can’t even get a job at Ted Bakers.

Make the most of it whilst your stock is high.
And if he does leave then good luck to him.
He will leave a hero, rather than hated by half the fans.
Absolutely Charlton are an established higher league Club.

No one should begrudge him leaving not every footballer or manager ends up a millionaire and it is a short career.

If favoured with good health they could live at least 30 years in retirement and on a fixed income with no means of increasing it particularly with interest rates being so low and likely to remain so.

He and others like him have to take the opportunities to protect his future and that of his family when they come along.