• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
A lot depends on how the club is being run. The takeover at Charlton wasn't particularly smooth and the current guy in charge, Sandgaard, owns the club while the despised former owner Roland Duchatelet still owns the ground and training ground I think.

I've also seen a few quotes from Sandgaard which make him sound like a total chancer:

Given the current ownership at Birmingham, and the name in the frame to take over, I can still see Charlton having better potential as a gig in the short term than the former - which is presumably why Bowyer is on the bookies list @ramone posted. Given Warburton's background I assume he will do the required due diligence on wherever he is headed next though, so I'm probably wrong.
I know they had a poor run towards the end which I guess is why Warburton was sacked but QPR finishing 11th still looks like a good job to me.

Joey Barton being linked to the Burnley job so I guess it's that time of year that promoted managers will get linked to jobs, that's natural. Especially after Edwards to Watford.

sign of the chimes

I know they had a poor run towards the end which I guess is why Warburton was sacked but QPR finishing 11th still looks like a good job to me.

Joey Barton being linked to the Burnley job so I guess it's that time of year that promoted managers will get linked to jobs, that's natural. Especially after Edwards to Watford.
Yes, I think Warburton has done a pretty good job wherever he's been and he seems to be a very good communicator. The QPR board is definitely taking a punt replacing him.

Barton to Burnley has the potential to be a fun watch. He's done decent jobs at Fleetwood and Rovers - though has been fairly well-backed. Watching him managing at Championship/PL level could be interesting viewing.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I cant see MT leaving just yet. I don't think he'll do a 10 year stint like Tisdale but he is a converted Devonian whos been settled here for a long time and I'd like to think he's looking forward to the challenge of seeing how far he can take ecfc before he moves on to pastures new.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would be a big risk for MT anything less than a playoff place next season would probably be deemed as a sackable offence.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Would be a big risk for MT anything less than a playoff place next season would probably be deemed as a sackable offence.
Some were calling for his head when we played Grimsby (27th April to be exact) In fact that thread is littered with bile against him !

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some were calling for his head when we played Grimsby (27th April to be exact) In fact that thread is littered with bile against him !
This is football. Most United fans were calling for Fergusons head after a couple of seasons and we all saw what happened next.

dontpassback

Charlton Athletic are a very big club,unfortunately the new owner is probably in the same bracket as Roland duchalet,the previous one.so if Matt Taylor has any sense,he will avoid the job,ECFC arent in the habit of sacking managers at will,and if Matt does well for us next season,he will have his pick of clubs

MagicMushroom

I take it you aren't KMT biggest fan there Magic ?
Big fan of Taylor. Wasn’t impressed with his signings in the summer but my god wasn’t I ,and many others, proven wrong.
I hope he stays and would be gutted to see him go.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Charlton Athletic are a very big club,unfortunately the new owner is probably in the same bracket as Roland duchalet,the previous one.so if Matt Taylor has any sense,he will avoid the job,ECFC arent in the habit of sacking managers at will,and if Matt does well for us next season,he will have his pick of clubs
If we keep / improve the same squad we might do the double promotion we have done before and could be in the Championship by then !
If Ollie gets transferred maybe we will have more £s to strengthen or even bring Cam back !
UTC

Cowshed Grecian

I know we all want him to stay and keep going in L1.
However my advice would be don’t make the same mistakes as Tisdale when he was heavily wanted.
He never left and now can’t even get a job at Ted Bakers.

Make the most of it whilst your stock is high.
And if he does leave then good luck to him.
He will leave a hero, rather than hated by half the fans.
Totally agree with this. I really want him to stay for at least a season though. If he gets us above mid table next season his stock is going to be huge and the time would be right for him to move on. In case we start going backwards like we did under Tisdale.