• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

sign of the chimes

I've just been catching up with this having been offline for most of the weekend. It will be a real shame if you lose MT but having listened to the interview on Radio Devon it sounds pretty much done and dusted. Presumably, like Warne before him, it will be about trying to keep them just about competitive at Championship level and in contention if/when they get relegated.

Having read the last 40 or so pages that were added to this thread since I last logged in, can I just say how incredibly well it reflects on your club to an oustider (and I hope that doesn't sound condescending/patronising as it's not meant in that way). Lots of sadness, regret and disappointment; alongside lots of love and people appreciative of what MT has done at St James'. As a collective, you lot are a credit to your club. If/when he goes I hope you absolutely smash the succession planning in the same way as you did last time.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rotherham are our equivalent in the Championship with a well below average playing budget and also had real difficulties in making signings in the summer, which seems to be one of the reasons that their frustrated manager left for Derby in League 1. At the top end of the Championship you are competing against Clubs relegated from the Premiership with humongous parachute payments. Rotherham are not even in the ballpark. I want Matt to go on to have a great career as a manager, but sadly feel that the Millers are not the correct next step for him.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just been catching up with this having been offline for most of the weekend. It will be a real shame if you lose MT but having listened to the interview on Radio Devon it sounds pretty much done and dusted. Presumably, like Warne before him, it will be about trying to keep them just about competitive at Championship level and in contention if/when they get relegated.

Having read the last 40 or so pages that were added to this thread since I last logged in, can I just say how incredibly well it reflects on your club to an oustider (and I hope that doesn't sound condescending/patronising as it's not meant in that way). Lots of sadness, regret and disappointment; alongside lots of love and people appreciative of what MT has done at St James'. As a collective, you lot are a bloody/bleddy credit to your club. If/when he goes I hope you absolutely smash the succession planning in the same way as you did last time.
Thanks SoC - your outside but "inside" input always adds balance to a Grecians thinking.
PUP, UTC & stop that lot 40 mileish W of the Fairer City of Exeter getting above their station !

sign of the chimes

Rotherham are our equivalent in the Championship with a well below average playing budget and also had real difficulties in making signings in the summer, which seems to be one of the reasons that their frustrated manager left for Derby in League 1. At the top end of the Championship you are competing against Clubs relegated from the Premiership with humongous parachute payments. Rotherham are not even in the ballpark. I want Matt to go on to have a great career as a manager, but sadly feel that the Millers are not the correct next step for him.
I guess from Rotherham's perspective if they know the parameters they're working in then to appoint someone who has succeeded with the same constraints is the logical thing to do. When I came back in to this thread an hour or so ago and found out the link with Rotherham was a very real one my initial thought was that if I was MT I'd wait for a Sheffield Wednesday or equivalent to come calling; but presumably they'd be looking for individuals with different demonstrated skillsets. I mean, MT might be able to make a huge amount of a division-busting budget, but he's not worked in that context before.

ExmouthMart

24hrs is well and truly up now. So what’s going on?! He’s either leaving or not. Exeter City should be the priority for us not what’s best for Matt Taylor. If he thinks he’s reached the end of the road with us, well good luck and we move on to a new Manager as quickly as possible.

Average Joe

Hearing from the Rotherham fans they seem to think its disrespectful that Taylor spoke to the press before making a decision, one fan even said Rotherham should pull the plug and not hire taylor due to being unprofessional.

I agree somewhat, maybe it would have been best for our club as well if he went public after the decision was made.

I'm guessing by the fact we've not heard anything means he's leaving for sure, guess the solicitors for contracts probably don't work Sundays so it'll be finalised this week..

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
No idea, I’d seen somewhere the average Championship manager salary is >£800k, but let’s imagine it’s half that at £400k.

If he gets sacked 6 months in and gets paid out the remainder of his salary then I’d say he’s fairly well setup.
Also seen average salary League One £180K which suggests either Warne was offered way above the average by Derby or Rotherham were paying way below the average or both.

That said the same source said best paid manager in Championship was on £3.46M so for what it is worth that suggests that some Championship managers are paid significantly less than the average.

logman

Deal completed, now we need a new manager.

Deal completed, now we need a new manager.
Has that been reported then? I’m assuming he will go. A loss but I’m more worried who he will take with him.

supernova

I think he is a bit of a ***** going to Rotherham. Yes the Championship is appealing but Rotherham? Have a word they’re gonna be back in League 2 in the next ten years