• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

IBA

I think he has done ok. I mean he has taken on a club in good shape, great academy, decent budget really for us (considering the signings he's made).

Hard to compare really as Tisdale had a top non-league club (in a league that wasn't filled with loads ex-leagye teams at the time), and then subsequently built from there before some real grotty seasons.

I think he underachieved in the first season by missing out on the play offs with that squad, this year... harder to judge. Who knows what would have happened in the run-in... and we dispatched Colchester pretty well before last nights disaster. Sometimes we play some excellent stuff, other times we look dire but we're certainly a decent side you can't deny him that.

Deserves season 3, but if we go backwards, then we need to be ruthless like the rest of football and move on. Can't be doing with 12 years of the same old ideas again.
Looking at the Clubs history we can't afford to keep chopping and changing managers every 1 to 2 seasons

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deserves another chance but spent a fair bit and didn't acheive promotion, so disapointing overall.

Banksy

Keep him but demote him to Prince.

DB9

A sort of Prince Regent? 👍

David Treharne

Comparisons are odious. I doubt whether our immediate previous manager would have been able to give such a sustained and heartfelt assessment as the one on that video. That said he did manage to draw some top performances from what were fairly ordinary players. I think it's evident that Matt Taylor understands more fully the constraints that he has to work under and was trying hard to point out that next season could be a transitional one. I applaud him for already having players in mind, but I hope he manages to avoid making the same sort of mistake he appears to have made with players like Ajose. Football in lower divisions is, I imagine, going to look a lot different in a post covid world, and I'm glad we have someone who is both decisive, forward thinking and living in a world of reality.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
"The Manager formerly known as King?"

DB9

Comparisons are odious. I doubt whether our immediate previous manager would have been able to give such a sustained and heartfelt assessment as the one on that video. That said he did manage to draw some top performances from what were fairly ordinary players. I think it's evident that Matt Taylor understands more fully the constraints that he has to work under and was trying hard to point out that next season could be a transitional one. I applaud him for already having players in mind, but I hope he manages to avoid making the same sort of mistake he appears to have made with players like Ajose. Football in lower divisions is, I imagine, going to look a lot different in a post covid world, and I'm glad we have someone who is both decisive, forward thinking and living in a world of reality.
As usual David, Like your weather forecasts, Wise words. 👍

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting viewpoint. I actually think MTs interview was not that different to some PT gave in his time here.

The use of the 'football goes in cycles' term is one PT used.

MT referring to us having over-achieved by reaching the Play-offs is no different to PT saying L2 is our 'level'.

It's about setting expectations for next year. The only way forward I can see for us is to throw the young uns in as much as possible and if we finish in mid table with them then fans will still be happy.

Grecian Max

Looking at the Clubs history we can't afford to keep chopping and changing managers every 1 to 2 seasons
And I suggested we relook after 3 seasons which isn't that at all.

DB9

And I suggested we relook after 3 seasons which isn't that at all.
👍