• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure we went through one season without an away win. Must get some more sleep as well as I first read that as "before Tommy Cooper" 😴
"I sleep like a baby. Every morning I wake up screaming around 2 o’clock." Tommy Cooper

grecIAN Harris

I'm sure we went through one season without an away win. Must get some more sleep as well as I first read that as "before Tommy Cooper" 😴
You're probably right.

Red Devon

Think it was 1986/87 season...and then went and won 2:0 at the Vetch Field Swansea in the first away game the following season.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Behind MT 100%.
A big post-Tis culture change was required. 2 seasons hasn’t been quite enough to do that, but it’s on the way.

Avening Posse

Remember the times when an away win was treated like we'd won the league because they were so rare?
I went on a run of 21 away games in a row (not consecutive games) in the 80’s where we didn’t win any of them. I think from memory the awful run was broken when I watched us win at Bristol City which I think was an FA Cup game

DB9

I went on a run of 21 away games in a row (not consecutive games) in the 80’s where we didn’t win any of them. I think from memory the awful run was broken when I watched us win at Bristol City which I think was an FA Cup game
OUCH! That must have been soul destroying.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
It was a tough season that one, think I may have been at most of those games too, went to Bristol with no hope but we somehow managed to survive a battering and steal the win. think it led to a tie at Everton in Rd3 if I remember

Antony Moxey

It was a tough season that one, think I may have been at most of those games too, went to Bristol with no hope but we somehow managed to survive a battering and steal the win. think it led to a tie at Everton in Rd3 if I remember
I went to that Bristol game: 2-1 win with Alan Crawford scoring? Anyway, went with Bristol City supporting mate who got us tickets for the posh seats in the main stand. Bristol go 1-0 up and the place erupts and I’m the only one left seated in the entire stand. We equalise and I allow myself a small fist pump and small ‘yes!’ under my breath as the locals were getting tetchy. Late in the game Crawford scores and without thinking I jump up and yell out ‘GETINTHEREYOUFUCKINGBEAUTY’ forgetting where I am but soon realising that I am the only one stood up celebrating! My mate tells me it’s probably best if I keep quiet for the remainder of the game lest I fancy wearing my plums for earrings. Needless to say I got out fine in the end and had a superb car ride home much to the annoyance of my driving chum.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
I went to that Bristol game: 2-1 win with Alan Crawford scoring? Anyway, went with Bristol City supporting mate who got us tickets for the posh seats in the main stand. Bristol go 1-0 up and the place erupts and I’m the only one left seated in the entire stand. We equalise and I allow myself a small fist pump and small ‘yes!’ under my breath as the locals were getting tetchy. Late in the game Crawford scores and without thinking I jump up and yell out ‘GETINTHEREYOUFUCKINGBEAUTY’ forgetting where I am but soon realising that I am the only one stood up celebrating! My mate tells me it’s probably best if I keep quiet for the remainder of the game lest I fancy wearing my plums for earrings. Needless to say I got out fine in the end and had a superb car ride home much to the annoyance of my driving chum.
I had the same experience, in with the locals on the open Kop end and had to keep quiet all the way through. I celebrated both goals with my fist pumps in my coat pockets though

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
One of the most popular away songs we used to sing was "We'll score again......" - you hardly hear it now, because this squad/team is a damn sight better than the dross we used to go and watch.
Away draws were epic - remember 2-2 at Shrewsbury with the Mark Cooper volleyed belter into the roof of the net from the edge of the box?
Away wins were out of this world - Rotherham 2-4 City was a beauty, good old Hobson; Scum 0-3 City under Bally was a ridiculous result given where the respective teams were back then, amazing but ridiculous - we only just survived that year, and when you look back now at the teams that were in that division: Stoke (Champions), Bolton (Promoted 2nd), West Brom (Promoted Playoffs), Reading (8th), Fulham (12th), Burnley (13th), Huddersfield (15th), Bournemouth (17th). The teams below us that year were Hull City, Preston (relegated), Mansfield (relegated), Wigan (relegated) and Chester City (relegated).
We over-achieved massively staying up given the size of budget of all the others in that division, but it's a rare event in our history.
The younger generation now literally have no idea of the sh*t we used to watch......even on the really bad days in recent years, City have almost always TRIED to play football......

King Matty T has my vote every day of the week.
Loved his interview afterwards - he sounded as p*ssed off as the supporters, and that's what I want to see; someone who takes it f*cking personally when we don't try our best.