• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
They weren't that good!
I can vaguely remember watching absolute carp in front of a couple of thoisand fans.
Always seemed to be City and Hartlepool at the bottom of the league. Dire.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does anybody know what contract term we gave Matt, or is he on a twelve month roller ;)

IndoMike

If Sweeney wasn't fit there is no way he would have got through 210 minutes of play off semi finals off of two and a bit weeks of training. He has his off days and his weight is always a bit of a cheap shot to go at when he does.

As for Matt, two years in and he has remodelled the squad (only three or four survivors from our previous play off final) and been pushing for the play offs in his first season and automatic in his second. It's progress and he has probably learnt a hell of a lot of lessons on the way as every manager does for all their careers, even Fergie said he did.

We have to wait and see what next season brings. Obviously our budget is going to be less and our young players will be more to the fore. But there are still other clubs out there prepared to spend it seems so it's not going to be odds on we are up there challenging again even though that is what the aim will be.

One thing I know will happen though, is that Matt and the coaching staff will be giving everything to get the team going again.
If some of the young players have strengthened up a bit and show their potential it could actually be a very exciting season.

DB9

God we had some awful teams
Remember the times when an away win was treated like we'd won the league because they were so rare?

IndoMike

Remember the times when an away win was treated like we'd won the league because they were so rare?
Yes, I do. Also remember the times when any win was rare. But suddenly we had that season with Banksy et al and for a while things were great. I guess with City you really appreciate the good times because there's been so.mamy bad ones. I can still imagine in my mind Graham Rees running down the wing, Curtis chesting the ball down, Cec slicing the ball into touch 🙄 and all.if them
Sorry. I digress. Up the City and fark it : bring on the kids!!🥃🥃🍷

Reactions: DB9

GJW

[
My first ever City game was a 1-0 win over Torquay. The next 4 games that I watched ended up 0-0 and were not good. I don’t know why I came back and stood on the Big Bank, occasionally getting soaked to the skin, but I did. Lucky if we had 3.5k watching then.
It is not anything like that now, and I keep dry.

Dannyred

I can remember an away match with 5 city fans in attendance on a cold night up north.

We now have a good away following.

DB9

I can remember an away match with 5 city fans in attendance on a cold night up north.

We now have a good away following.
And a fair few away wins in a season now

grecIAN Harris

I remember us going through a period before Terry Cooper arrived where we re lucky if we got one away win a season (or at least, it certainly seemed that way).

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

I remember us going through a period before Terry Cooper arrived where we re lucky if we got one away win a season (or at least, it certainly seemed that way).
I'm sure we went through one season without an away win. Must get some more sleep as well as I first read that as "before Tommy Cooper" 😴