• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

Grecianpasty

Matt brought in City's first ever full time S&C coach, and with his own fitness excellence academic background, his ethos and the direction of travel was clear right from the start. For a period under Wiseman it appeared to be paying dividends, the team looked really sharp.

Before the Wembley game, Matt even said "we need speed in our game". I then watched a clearly overweight Sweeney and Maxted, and a midfield that huffed and puffed, unable to support the front two.

Perhaps it was lockdown, or the 120 minutes v Colchester, but whatever it was, I'd thought the days of watching an indulged Logie type waddling around the pitch were long gone. I just hope Matt maintains a strong grip on fitness levels and standards at the club, and they're not allowed to slip further.
I have to admit seeing professional footballers over weight gets to me. Although I wouldn't know if Sweeney is over weight as he's always been on the bigger side.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeney.... is he overweight or is it his body type?

DB9

Funny that is what i say to myself! Seriously though I like MT but i'm not and would not like him to be put on that pedestal that was left vacant by our last manager, He and we all have to acknowledge and accept when he makes a mistake, Not abuse him or anything but be objective, I'm sure he wouldn't want that either. He is our manager and i support him but should not be above criticism, We had years of that and it became very divisive on here and at SJP. I'm hoping at the moment he is looking at Monday's game with his coaches and even some players and they can look at it and see where it all went wrong and learn from it, His tactics were wrong but that does not make him a bad manager, His interview after did show how upset he was. Matt Taylor is our manager but not a king that is untouchable and above criticism.

InMyBlood

This season was an exceptional one due to the circumstances with Covid-19. If we had beaten Argyle in the league at theirs then there's no reason to believe we wouldn't have made automatics. The play-off final is a huge disappointment but again if there had been a crowd behind the team maybe their heads wouldn't have gone down so easily. Our home record shows how hard we can be to beat and also the turn around over the semi-finals from a dire match to a good scoreline against Colchester. So many ifs and buts.

Taylor has had us fighting for promotion for two seasons and there is no reason he cannot continue. Keith Curle has been a manager for over 18 years and only just had his first promotion. I recall one of the interviews over the past months that when Taylor became manager they knew they were in for some hard graft. Next season will be difficult for all teams depending on when the crowds will be allowed. Our problem in League 2 is we have to compete against teams with a much larger playing budget than we do but perhaps next season will be to our advantage or the other way. Only time will tell.

Matt is doing fine. He makes decisions that sometimes don't work out. He will learn from it and I believe he will take us up. I'm not a fan of chopping and changing managers. It's the teams that have managers who stick around that do well.
It's knowing when to change when they have been around for too long that's the problem ;)

IndoMike

Think that Northampton whipping Cheltenham was a bit of a shock and we were overawed by that.
Probably other factors, too. but in the end we just couldn't cope with them. Somebody has to lose and it was us.

IndoMike

Matt brought in City's first ever full time S&C coach, and with his own fitness excellence academic background, his ethos and the direction of travel was clear right from the start. For a period under Wiseman it appeared to be paying dividends, the team looked really sharp.

Before the Wembley game, Matt even said "we need speed in our game". I then watched a clearly overweight Sweeney and Maxted, and a midfield that huffed and puffed, unable to support the front two.

Perhaps it was lockdown, or the 120 minutes v Colchester, but whatever it was, I'd thought the days of watching an indulged Logie type waddling around the pitch were long gone. I just hope Matt maintains a strong grip on fitness levels and standards at the club, and they're not allowed to slip further.
Elgy, I can't imagine that Matt Taylor would allow his players to be overweight. Maybe Sweeney just looks fat. Anyway, a better right back for City is a need.

i8cornwall

i saw him out running during lock down (he actually Out paced me which is slightly embarrassing) and it is definitely his body type, big lad but not overweight.

i8cornwall

The Opening post office this thread is pretty spot on, in fairness to Taylor his first season he inherited a club on its ass after a second Wembley defeat and made some decent players in such as Law and forte.

this season was going well to Christmas which is always where we struggle and the area the club need to find money to strength the squad, one signing is good but two is clearly better.

I’m happy to see Taylor to be manager for a 3rd season but actual tangible progress on the pitch needs to be made by getting us promoted or serious questions need to be asked about Taylor and probably the direction the club is going In.

as much as I respect the older fans saying about the past and there is nothing wrong with it, but if the club is to encourage the next generation of fans to get involved with the club then promotion is a must. We now live in an age where there is football on TV 24/7 and we have a successful rugby club across the city now all of which we are competing with in one way or another.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still like MT and glad he's with us but he's no longer King, more of a Prince.

LOG

It would be a little unfair to judge anyone too harshly given how this season was curtailed.

I'm still in #teammatt