• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

GJW

As disappointed and completely gutted as I was after the game last night I can only reflect on the facts of where we are as a Club right now. This is his second season. Last season we just missed the play offs by 1 point. We accrued 70 points in all. Crowds were up on previous seasons. A new era had begun. I was content albeit slightly gutted we slipped out of the play offs at the end.
The second season finished with a big disappointment at Wembley, but that final play off place was earned through our league position and points (65 points with 9 games remaining) as well as a great comeback against Colchester. Our average PPG better than the previous season. Again average crowds up on the previous season.
That is progress. Fact. Every City fan wanted that win last night and will all be annoyed at the end result and performance, but that was progress.
Our Manager’s record is one of the best in City history for his 2 seasons. Not the best, but one of them. I have watched City in the 90s when we were absolutely shit and our Managers were not much better. The stats show this. Take a look. The mid to late eighties were not memorable either or the very early 2000s. We went out of the football league. Remember that day?
It’s natural to have a moan about last night. It’s natural to talk about a clear out. We probably need one. I still have a lot of confidence in Matt Taylor to make the necessary changes to take us to that next level and I also have confidence in the Club, Trust and the supporters.
We’ll rally around and be back at SJP In the new season. We always do. We always come back. We haven’t been relegated. We haven’t dropped out of the football league. We lost a L2 Play off final (badly).
2 steps forwards, 1 step back, 2 steps forward 1 step back. That’s still progress. So last night was a 1 step back. We have had more forward steps than backward steps this season.
Sometimes we forget where we were and don’t appreciate where we are. I’d love to win every game, in style. There is an awful lot of Clubs and supporters out there now who have had the sort of season we used to endure. As gutted as I am I’m glad I’m not one of them.
Super Matt Taylor!!👍

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still to be convinced.

GJW

Still to be convinced.
I thought you had been out for a run😉

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
As disappointed and completely gutted as I was after the game last night I can only reflect on the facts of where we are as a Club right now. This is his second season. Last season we just missed the play offs by 1 point. We accrued 70 points in all. Crowds were up on previous seasons. A new era had begun. I was content albeit slightly gutted we slipped out of the play offs at the end.
The second season finished with a big disappointment at Wembley, but that final play off place was earned through our league position and points (65 points with 9 games remaining) as well as a great comeback against Colchester. Our average PPG better than the previous season. Again average crowds up on the previous season.
That is progress. Fact. Every City fan wanted that win last night and will all be annoyed at the end result and performance, but that was progress.
Our Manager’s record is one of the best in City history for his 2 seasons. Not the best, but one of them. I have watched City in the 90s when we were absolutely **** and our Managers were not much better. The stats show this. Take a look. The mid to late eighties were not memorable either or the very early 2000s. We went out of the football league. Remember that day?
It’s natural to have a moan about last night. It’s natural to talk about a clear out. We probably need one. I still have a lot of confidence in Matt Taylor to make the necessary changes to take us to that next level and I also have confidence in the Club, Trust and the supporters.
We’ll rally around and be back at SJP In the new season. We always do. We always come back. We haven’t been relegated. We haven’t dropped out of the football league. We lost a L2 Play off final (badly).
2 steps forwards, 1 step back, 2 steps forward 1 step back. That’s still progress. So last night was a 1 step back. We have had more forward steps than backward steps this season.
Sometimes we forget where we were and don’t appreciate where we are. I’d love to win every game, in style. There is an awful lot of Clubs and supporters out there now who have had the sort of season we used to endure. As gutted as I am I’m glad I’m not one of them.
Super Matt Taylor!!👍
Good post GJW at last a bit of reasoned thinking after the disappointment and shambles that was last night we go again - Matt is the right man for now - UTC

fred binneys head

#TeamGJW

I’m shoulder to shoulder with Matt. The players £ucking owe me big time, but I’m a massive supporter of Matt.

Colesman Ballz

I thought you had been out for a run😉
Obviously needs to do another 10k before bed time, and another first thing in the morning ! 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️😉

iscalad

#TeamGJW

I’m shoulder to shoulder with Matt. The players £ucking owe me big time, but I’m a massive supporter of Matt.
And me

Grecian Max

I think he has done ok. I mean he has taken on a club in good shape, great academy, decent budget really for us (considering the signings he's made).

Hard to compare really as Tisdale had a top non-league club (in a league that wasn't filled with loads ex-leagye teams at the time), and then subsequently built from there before some real grotty seasons.

I think he underachieved in the first season by missing out on the play offs with that squad, this year... harder to judge. Who knows what would have happened in the run-in... and we dispatched Colchester pretty well before last nights disaster. Sometimes we play some excellent stuff, other times we look dire but we're certainly a decent side you can't deny him that.

Deserves season 3, but if we go backwards, then we need to be ruthless like the rest of football and move on. Can't be doing with 12 years of the same old ideas again.

GJW

I think he has done ok. I mean he has taken on a club in good shape, great academy, decent budget really for us (considering the signings he's made).

Hard to compare really as Tisdale had a top non-league club (in a league that wasn't filled with loads ex-leagye teams at the time), and then subsequently built from there before some real grotty seasons.

I think he underachieved in the first season by missing out on the play offs with that squad, this year... harder to judge. Who knows what would have happened in the run-in... and we dispatched Colchester pretty well before last nights disaster. Sometimes we play some excellent stuff, other times we look dire but we're certainly a decent side you can't deny him that.

Deserves season 3, but if we go backwards, then we need to be ruthless like the rest of football and move on. Can't be doing with 12 years of the same old ideas again.
You are absolutely right. Like every Manager they have to maintain or improve. Season 3 will be a challenge for him, just like Season 1 and Season 2. I get the feeling he loves the complexity of the job he has and the personal challenge for him. He seems quite driven, driven to get results. Season 2 was progress compared to Season 1. He knows the club very well. He understands results=success. He knows how important it is for the supporters. You can see that in every one of his interviews. I think he is committed and will do the best he can with the playing budget that he is given. He will definitely tap in to the younger lads next season. As for the run in this season, we had 27 points still up for grabs. I reckon we would have got at least 12 points out of that.

dontpassback

We go again,but we don’t want to be going again,and again and again,we have some good young players coming through and we need to combine the youth with experience and realise our potential and I don’t care if I ever hear the word play off final ever again !

Reactions: GJW