• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrong thread..

Last edited:

scottus86

I think most are still behind him like others say but he's no "Rookie Manager" anymore, He's been in the job for what 3 years now? Pass the rookie stage.
Yeah, I didn't say he was a rookie now 🤷‍♂️

However his two seasons since his rookie season have been disturbed and disrupted by covid19 and budget restraints, and in adverse circumstances I feel he hasn't done awfully like some on here seem to think.

He needs a season under normal circumstances to really be judged and now isn't the time to throw him on the scrap heap.

Red Bill

I think most are still behind him like others say but he's no "Rookie Manager" anymore, He's been in the job for what 3 years now? Pass the rookie stage.
I understand what you're saying but in most areas of work, when you're looking to recruit someone who can fit straight into a role and hit the ground running so to speak, you'd generally ask for someone with at least 3 years experience. That being because that's generally about the minimum amount of time for someone to gain enough experience to know the job well enough to recognise the pitfalls are and know how to deal with or avoid them etc.
So whilst he's not a rookie as a first time manager in his first season, he's still a relatively inexperienced manager that's still no doubt got a lot to learn.

DB9

I understand what you're saying but in most areas of work, when you're looking to recruit someone who can fit straight into a role and hit the ground running so to speak, you'd generally ask for someone with at least 3 years experience. That being because that's generally about the minimum amount of time for someone to gain enough experience to know the job well enough to recognise the pitfalls are and know how to deal with or avoid them etc.
So whilst he's not a rookie as a first time manager in his first season, he's still a relatively inexperienced manager that's still no doubt got a lot to learn.
He was inexperienced when he first came to us but you've got to have balls to do the job and TBF for a first job he's had a lot to contend with over the last 12 months and that has surely given him experience that not many 1st time managers have had? I just think he needs help or advice on his recruitment on players, I've said that is for me only a 6/10 but i don't think the "Inexperienced" label can be an "Excuse" anymore. While he's been in the job how many managers from other clubs have come and gone since he got the job?

Topsham Boy

There is nothing wrong with our base model and principals of being a supporter owned club. We must never ever allow ourselves to fall into the hands of previous despicable regimes who bleed us dry and cheat our sponsors. The very real feeling of knowing it might be the end of your club is something I never ever want to experience again. It is City till I die. I am sure it is for all of us.
On the other hand you can’t just muddle along and hope the next Ollie Watkins comes along as our financial saviour. We have been very lucky with young players recently and we have some good ones in the team now but while we wait for the next big money sale what about the players we bring in to supplement them?! This seems to be a revolving door policy of older players winding down their careers or injured players given long contracts in the hope they may or may not come good. It’s a gamble all the time. Why do we never sign players from rival teams for a fee?! Not spend stupid money but it shows supporters etc. we are not just living off scraps.
Why did we sign Stubbs on a 2.5 year deal, when he’s not fit and not able to make an immediate impact. Isn’t that why you sign players in January, to see you over the line?! We are constantly told it’s a transitional season but that’s a big commitment based on a gamble he comes good eventually.
Matt Taylor needs to step up, especially with signings. Next season will be a crucial time for us and the right decisions need to be made. Hopefully supporters will be back in numbers and expectations will be high, remember this is the transitional season. Just muddling along is not good enough anymore. Stop blaming the pitch, travelling, tiredness etc. it’s the same for every team, every season. Get us at least to a play off final and remember to get the team to compete on the day.
Did we not pay good money to sign Stockley from Aberdeen?

DB9

We did and was worth every penny if not more but alas he showed his quaility and was snapped up by PNE and we're still in the same league as when we recruited him and when he left. A total "If Only" had Stockely stayed, We might have gone up, but we'll never know.

Red Bill

He was inexperienced when he first came to us but you've got to have balls to do the job and TBF for a first job he's had a lot to contend with over the last 12 months and that has surely given him experience that not many 1st time managers have had? I just think he needs help or advice on his recruitment on players, I've said that is for me only a 6/10 but i don't think the "Inexperienced" label can be an "Excuse" anymore. While he's been in the job how many managers from other clubs have come and gone since he got the job?
He's certainly had experiences in his first couple of years and I hope he's learnt from all of them. I actually said "relatively inexperienced " and I think to some extent that you're acknowledging that by say that you think he needs help with recruitment, inasmuch as it's something you'd hope an experienced manager wouldn't need.
But I do agree that by now he should be getting towards the point where he doesn't!

Boyo

I just think he needs help or advice on his recruitment on players, I've said that is for me only a 6/10 but i don't think the "Inexperienced" label can be an "Excuse" anymore.
Most of his “dodgy” signing were from his first 12 months or so. I think the signings this season have been great. We haven’t seen Stubbs yet, so too early to comment. That demonstrates to me that he’s learnt from his errors.

DB9

Most of his “dodgy” signing were from his first 12 months or so. I think the signings this season have been great. We haven’t seen Stubbs yet, so too early to comment. That demonstrates to me that he’s learnt from his errors.
🤞🤞🤞 Hope so, Today's looking great but we need that consistency and I think a couple of decent signings we could be there. I'm honestly happy with this season, Whatever happens between now and end of.

IndoMike

100k IINM