• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are your thoughts so far ?

milts

Started well and seemed to have clear direction.

Fear that’s become a little confused 2 years in.

Overall a positive 2 years. Could be a challenging year.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s done well. It could have gone severely pair shaped had we recruited badly after the Cheese left.

This year is a big year for him, though. I get the feeling MT won’t outstay his welcome and he’d walk if we have a poor season. That said, I think we will still be there or thereabouts and I hope Matt stays long term.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
He has done well.

He has given a few of the young players from the academy their chance,a bit of a gamble that his predecessor was reluctant to do.MT has trusted his judgement in that area.

IndoMike

Has done well to get a not brilliant squad
into 8th place and then into the play-offs. That's clearly progress.
He hasn't been able to pull.off clever signings like Wheeler, Stacey (Loan), and Stockley, but on the other hand he is new
and still.making contacts and finding his feet. He obviously believes in the youth and hope he gives them a real chance to prove and improve themselves this season.
Sonetimes a manager hits on a winning formation through luck rather than judgement, so hoping same will happen with Matt.
I'll give him a score of 8/10 for an overall score and 7/10 for signings and tactics.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
He hasn't been able to pull.off clever signings like Wheeler, Stacey (Loan), and Stockley
Surely players like O'Shea, Law and Williams come into the above category.

IndoMike

Surely players like O'Shea, Law and Williams come into the above category.
Yes, they were good signings, but I rate Stockley and Wheeler more highly, and Stacey was the tops. We had a better team then.

C j phill

Last season we under-achieved, the play-off final was an embarrassment, concerned about his forward recruitment outcomes. So far 6 out of 10.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Passionate guy, talks well, talks honestly and in interviews there isn't the defensive sense of 'how dare you question me' that characterised the latter Tisdale years

Are we playing better football? Sometimes yes, sometimes no - imho.
Have we progressed on the field? Factually no, we are still an upper L2 side that hasn't made the next step
Have we progressed tactically? Maybe, although we were badly caught out at Wembley
Have the kids progressed? Yes, undoubtedly but to be fair to Tis, he did the same
Is the Club a happier, more harmonious place? Absolutely

I like MT, he clearly cares about the Club and I'd much rather that than have one of the merry-go-round suspects that are here 9 months before being sacked or move up
Am I heartily sick of being 'nearly men' in L2? Yes!

Agree that it is a big season, albeit it is going to be a very odd one.

Exehausted

I've been very impressed with what Matt has done. He was unlucky in his first season with the release clause meaning we had to let Jayden Stockley go. I'm certain that we would have gone automatically if he'd stayed. Last season the injury to Jack Sparkes again knocked us of course and without that setback, again I think we would have gone up automatically. I love his straightforward talking, he never ducks an issue and he seems to take the setbacks in his stride. He knows what he wants and what he doesn't want. I know a lot of people have already given up on a decent season, but I think we will at least make the play-offs. All this with us likely to have only the 12th or 13th highest wage bill, as we have had for many years. If, as is often said, football is all about money, we shouldn't have been as competitive as we have been. I'm looking forward to the season and although there are bound to be set backs, I have total trust in Matt to get the very best he can out of the squad. 9/10.