• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

InMyBlood

I think to say MT has fallen short is a little harsh!

Many talk about the need for us to score more goals etc, and while I agree with this we were still the 5th highest scorers in League Two last season.

Some people seem to forget that even with the club putting in an extra 500K to the budget for the past few seasons our budget still only ranks around between 9-12th in the division so we are still overachieving in terms of our league position based on finances.

The criticisms that I would have of MT is that in the past two seasons we have started well and he seems to have had a very clear picture of his best 11 and then at times during the midpoint of the season we have seemed to lose our way and identity to some extent. This could obviously just be down to players form etc, but it is something that we need to address.
The other criticism is the handling of Nicky Ajose as rightly or wrongly I still believe he could really be an important player for us but it seems as though something has clearly gone on and MT does not trust him in the side. With MT having made this signing only a year ago and publicly expressing what an excellent signing it was it all seems a bit strange and doesn't reflect overly well.
Agree that the money situation shows we are punching above our weight.
Also regarding Ajose, and perhaps Aaron Martin, Taylor isn't the 'arms around players' kind of manager. He has time to learn you need carrot and stick.

Grecian_Matt

What questions would need to be asked? Serious question!
No real questions..
If he doesn't get the play offs/promoted this year, then I would get rid and try someone new.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
No real questions..
If he doesn't get the play offs/promoted this year, then I would get rid and try someone new.
Honestly get rid? There are 23 other teams vying for 7 spots, To say that is really unfair and put undue pressure on the management team. We all want success and be up there or there abouts but not at the expense of changing a manager every couple of seasons, No team who chops and changes the boss regularly does well.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We are currently the third longest serving team in League 2.

DB9

After only two years? Says a lot about the job security!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not quite sure what you are referring to. Of current League 2 teams we have been in the division the second-longest behind Morecambe. And there are 4 managers (Cooper, Flynn, Weaver, and Alexander) who have held their job for longer than Matt Taylor.

iscalad

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Of current League 2 teams we have been in the division the second-longest behind Morecambe. And there are 4 managers (Cooper, Flynn, Weaver, and Alexander) who have held their job for longer than Matt Taylor.
He's talking about the club.
Sack the manager, sack the board, sack the players, sack the teaperson.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I've not been disappointed with either of the past two seasons. For me MT was, and is, a real football man. I never felt that with his predecessor and that is borne out by the latter now, seemingly, moving out of the game.

Yes, we blew it at Wembley and it hurt but it must be remembered that we turned a defeat at Colchester into a good win to get there. You win some, you lose some, but the crunch ones are the ones that matter and the ones you remember.

Personally, notwithstanding relegation (which I don't expect to happen), I would stick with MT beyond this season, even if it is a challenging one.

i8cornwall

No real questions..
sort of agree with this but not on that time scale, if covid hadn’t of happened and we had still been playing league two football then yeah this season was make or break, if he fails to get promoted towards the end of next season Then I think it’s probably time we parted ways.

I’d also add that Taylor can only bring in players that we can afford so I’d probably say that someone from above would also need to join matt heading towards the exit, fairs fairs like.

Anyway I’m off to put my tin hat on and walk towards the bomb shelter after that post!

DB9

sort of agree with this but not on that time scale, if covid hadn’t of happened and we had still been playing league two football then yeah this season was make or break, if he fails to get promoted towards the end of next season Then I think it’s probably time we parted ways.

I’d also add that Taylor can only bring in players that we can afford so I’d probably say that someone from above would also need to join matt heading towards the exit, fairs fairs like.

Anyway I’m off to put my tin hat on and walk towards the bomb shelter after that post!
Better listen out for the all clear siren i8, But you better get some provisions in, It might be a while! :LOL: