• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

dommers

Those kids are playing like they are now because of the way they were allowed to develop in the last couple of seasons. Just because a couple of them are ripping it up now, it doesn't mean they would have done the same thing 15 months ago.
The problem is that we'll never know whether they would have done the same thing last year although personally I think they would have done.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the main thing that we have learnt as a club is that you should not be making decisions on players at the age of 18. Lots of players take time to get to the level required for professional football and just because they do not seem ready at 18 does not mean they should be released. Jay is 24 and Collins is 21.

Randall and Key who are being lauded as a great young players are also 21 already.
Ridiculous comment.

You cannot keep every young player on until they are 21 - 24.

Obviously it isn't viable.

cambmike

The problem is that we'll never know whether they would have done the same thing last year although personally I think they would have done.
I was worried that Matt wasn't bringing the youngsters through last season. Would be interesting to know his thoughts on that.

jimmy

I think it's fair to say to fans and to youth team players at ECFC that their chance will always come.

Randall and Key have grabbed theirs with both hands and good on 'em.

To debate if the chance should have come sooner is anyone's guess but the fact is a youngen' will always get a chance here.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it's fair to say to fans and to youth team players at ECFC that their chance will always come.

Randall and Key have grabbed theirs with both hands and good on 'em.

To debate if the chance should have come sooner is anyone's guess but the fact is a youngen' will always get a chance here.
That is true if they're good enough. We all know only a small % of youth players actually make it to first teams, Most won't but I think here at City the youngsters see their peers make it which must be a incentive to work hard and grab that chance.

Rosencrantz

Ridiculous comment.

You cannot keep every young player on until they are 21 - 24.

Obviously it isn't viable.
If you take the point literally of course. You make a decision on every player when it comes to renewing contracts. But the general point of being patient with those young players you think do have the potential stands. There have been a fair amount of people on here in the past ready to release young players on the basis they are not appearing in the first team at 19/20 years old or earlier in a few cases.

Tom Nichols is a good example of someone a lot of people would have let go although I think the fact that he had very early exposure in the first team before going quiet for a year or two and being loaned out had something to do with those opinions. The same could be said for MJ who made his debut early, but only has really been in the squad the last couple of season's and really in the first team this season.

It obviously helps opinion now that so many younger players are getting more public exposure in the FLT and u23 Premier League Cup. More people are seeing them play than before and making judgements. The coverage the youth team and u16's have had this season is fantastic also letting us form opinions on those coming through.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you take the point literally of course. You make a decision on every player when it comes to renewing contracts. But the general point of being patient with those young players you think do have the potential stands. There have been a fair amount of people on here in the past ready to release young players on the basis they are not appearing in the first team at 19/20 years old or earlier in a few cases.

Tom Nichols is a good example of someone a lot of people would have let go although I think the fact that he had very early exposure in the first team before going quiet for a year or two and being loaned out had something to do with those opinions. The same could be said for MJ who made his debut early, but only has really been in the squad the last couple of season's and really in the first team this season.

It obviously helps opinion now that so many younger players are getting more public exposure in the FLT and u23 Premier League Cup. More people are seeing them play than before and making judgements. The coverage the youth team and u16's have had this season is fantastic also letting us form opinions on those coming through.
tonykellowfan said:

"I think the main thing that we have learnt as a club is that you should not be making decisions on players at the age of 18."

therefore I think the comment should be taken literally.

You cannot give every young player more and more time, decisions need to be made along the way, you cannot have every young player at the club until they are 21. It simply isn't realistic both financially and in terms of numbers.

If you are unsure on a player give them more time however it will be clear and obvious with some players that they aren't going to be good enough.

Last edited:

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't watch anymore. Just like some didn't like previous managers I don't like this one.
Is that too hard for you to believe?
Cheerio then. You won't be missed

dommers

I was worried that Matt wasn't bringing the youngsters through last season. Would be interesting to know his thoughts on that.
The comment would be that they weren't good enough, although the extra year has helped them develop and they taken their opportunity this year. Not sure what else he would say.

DB9

The comment would be that they weren't good enough, although the extra year has helped them develop and they taken their opportunity this year. Not sure what else he would say.
No not they weren't "Good enough" perhaps they weren't ready and yes that extra year has given time for some to develop.