• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

jimmy

What is it with ExeWeb and people so eager to write off good players (Dieng too)? It's a long season and both MJ and Timothee will have their part to play.
I agree. I think its an unbelievable testament to the club and squad that a proven League Two goal-scorer is struggling to get a starting place at the moment.

It's public that Jay is disappointed by this..but we also know that he has the fight, understanding and brains of what he needs to do and when to take his chance, which he will definitely get over 60 odd fixtures in 300 days!

SaintJames

Given Matt saying in his column that he is the next one due in the baby stakes (Oct?) I cannot imagine he or his partner will be interested in a move away anytime soon. If and it's a big if that he wanted away I think there would be suitors at L2 level. Talk about going to Torquay I cannot see as he has much to give at a higher level than that

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem for Matt Jay is that if he is to adapt to Lg 1 standard he will need a run of games to stand a chance. But no matter what our hearts and loyalty to him tell us, realistically he is not going to replace Brown or Stansfield for a run of games unless they are all injured.
So what to do? Imo it would be better for him if he were loaned out to a reasonably local Div 2 team and be playing rather than
having to sit out so many minutes and maybe feeling low. Torquay is the obvious answer : and you'd think they would jump at the chance, but can he be loaned out now?
Yes, he is one of our own and yes, everybody loves Matt J, but football is replete with harsh realities, and Matt Taylor knows that himself.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The problem for Matt Jay is that if he is to adapt to Lg 1 standard he will need a run of games to stand a chance. But no matter what our hearts and loyalty to him tell us, realistically he is not going to replace Brown or Stansfield for a run of games unless they are all injured.
So what to do? Imo it would be better for him if he were loaned out to a reasonably local Div 2 team and be playing rather than
having to sit out so many minutes and maybe feeling low. Torquay is the obvious answer : and you'd think they would jump at the chance, but can he be loaned out now?
Yes, he is one of our own and yes, everybody loves Matt J, but football is replete with harsh realities, and Matt Taylor knows that himself.
Firstly, we don't have the squad depth to let him out on loan.

Secondly, loaning out the club captain is a massive slap in the face.

jase 07

And thirdly Torquay are not L2

IndoMike

1. I do think we have the depth now.
2. I thought about that : but being plonked on the bench isn't exactly heart- warming .
I do see your point. I think footballers have to be hard- headed, like it or not. One minute you can be flavour of the day and the next you can be in the doldrums.

IndoMike

And thirdly Torquay are not L2
Haha. Good point. I keep thinking we're one league above them.🙄

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haha. Good point. I keep thinking we're one league above them.🙄
Hope that's not next season!
UTC

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
1. I do think we have the depth now.
2. I thought about that : but being plonked on the bench isn't exactly heart- warming .
I do see your point. I think footballers have to be hard- headed, like it or not. One minute you can be flavour of the day and the next you can be in the doldrums.
I see your point but I think it's probably a bit dramatic, MJ will have a decent part to play this year.

IndoMike

I see your point but I think it's probably a bit dramatic, MJ will have a decent part to play this year.
I think we have to agree or disagree since either of us could be proven right.