• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

JCWhoosh

He has the armband again for this season. Obviously MT sees him as an integral part of the squad. That's good enough evidence for me to say he is league 1 standard and a decent player. We are only 5 games in to League 1 with a depleted squad. He deserves a chance.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Right now, I'm not suggesting dropping anyone [though, FWIW, Kite has been much better than Dieng thus far this season IMHO], less still that MJ has a divine right to be in the starting line-up. My point is merely that I, for one, am not gonna dismiss him as not up to this level on the basis of two appearances in League One.
I haven't dismissed him nor have I suggested he should be dismissed.

Grecian Max

There's an argument to say the captain's armband maybe a bit of a millstone...

Average Joe

Matty J, he's not quite a fox in the box, not really a playmaker, and not a player who can drive forward.

He might end up at Torquay, where he could do a great job.
I agree with Indo. MJ had one good season in league two, we should have cashed in there and then.

Average Joe

I haven't dismissed him nor have I suggested he should be dismissed.

You have, see post 504.

grecIAN Harris

So, who would you drop to make way for Matty J? Harry Kite or Dieng?
Nobody should be being dropped from midfield to accommodate Jay. As both Rosie and myself have pointed out, and I've no doubt a few more have spotted, our midfield is working better with three proper box to box midfielders in it and it has seen a marked improvement in Archie Collins game and, I would suggest, Harry Kite's also as neither are being pegged to the holding role that, imo, has held Collins back.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Matt's days as a regular starter are probably over, which is sad as a couple of season's ago we had build our team around him, but we have evolved, our style has changed, and competition has increased which means he won't be getting the game time he needs for his game to pick up, which is a shame for Matt as I love him as a player and team captain. Ultimately come January I wouldn't be surprised to see him down the A380 playing for his home town club, either that or he could start doing his coaching badges and look to become the next Dan Green/Matt Taylor if he wants to stay with the club

Ian Tarr

What is it with ExeWeb and people so eager to write off good players (Dieng too)? It's a long season and both MJ and Timothee will have their part to play.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is it with ExeWeb and people so eager to write off good players (Dieng too)? It's a long season and both MJ and Timothee will have their part to play.
I'm not writing him off per se but as things stand he has got a lot of competition ahead of him in his favoured role and from the times he has played he has not looked the player he was last season or the season before, mainly due to lack of game time which he is unlikely to get with the current squad, injuries permitting. If he could get 3/4 matches together then he might be coming up to speed but at the moment as was evidenced against Newport he isn't there yet

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not writing him off per se but as things stand he has got a lot of competition ahead of him in his favoured role and from the times he has played he has not looked the player he was last season or the season before, mainly due to lack of game time which he is unlikely to get with the current squad, injuries permitting. If he could get 3/4 matches together then he might be coming up to speed but at the moment as was evidenced against Newport he isn't there yet
As last season proved, An injury here or there can bring players back into the fold and all of a sudden they become the first teamer. Just look at Diabate and Ray.