• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

StudentGrecian

Think MJ will be back for Carlisle, Rowe wasn’t bad by any stretch on Saturday, but he made a few errors, being dispossessed by Scot Bennett a few times in dangerous areas. Gives Taylor an easy way to get his captain back in the side.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think MJ will be back for Carlisle, Rowe wasn’t bad by any stretch on Saturday, but he made a few errors, being dispossessed by Scot Bennett a few times in dangerous areas. Gives Taylor an easy way to get his captain back in the side.
I can see MJ returning but not sure if Rowe will be dropped. With such a large pitch, I can see Rowe having more space and time to operate. Maybe a chance to rest Archie?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The reasons are not hard to work out. Last season, and even at the start of this, he played as a Number 10. He has been usurped by Jevnai in that position and is now playing in a proper midfield role where he doesn't get the space or time to do what he was doing in that pocket behind the main striker.
I know you've repeated this a few time but I'm still not convinced it's correct. For me Jevani doesn't play as a traditional number 10 but floats around looking for space. MJ also plays a far more advanced role than our other 2 midfield players even if he's not quite playing far enough forward to be described as a number 10. Interestingly at Newport, Tim Dieng appeared to be playing in front of Callum and Archie and I didn't think he was quite as effective there as when he plays in his usual position alongside Archie.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can see MJ returning but not sure if Rowe will be dropped. With such a large pitch, I can see Rowe having more space and time to operate. Maybe a chance to rest Archie?
I thought Archie was excellent in the first half against Newport. I know that he can sometimes look a little jaded but his physical stamina is impressive and with no midweek game he shouldn't need a rest. And, rightly or wrongly, Archie does seem to be one of those players who the manager never really rests and rotates.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
The larger pitch would also suit Phillips, play some balls into space for him to run onto as was shown by Jevani at Newport on Saturday.

grecIAN Harris

I know you've repeated this a few time but I'm still not convinced it's correct. For me Jevani doesn't play as a traditional number 10 but floats around looking for space. MJ also plays a far more advanced role than our other 2 midfield players even if he's not quite playing far enough forward to be described as a number 10. Interestingly at Newport, Tim Dieng appeared to be playing in front of Callum and Archie and I didn't think he was quite as effective there as when he plays in his usual position alongside Archie.
MJ has the licence to get forward from midfield but the space he was occupying last season is filled by Jevani whether you think it's 'traditional' (has the number 10 role been around long enough for a traditional label to it?) or not is irrelevent as it means MJ is still playing a good ten yards deeper and having to do twice as much, at least, defensive work than last season as part of the midfield three. The knock on effect to MJ's game and his attacking effectiveness is there for all to see both physically watching him and on a piece of paper with the lack of goals and assists.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Can't see MT resting Collins as he is so important to how we play...grabs tin hat!! ;)
I actually thought defensively Sparkes was very good on Saturday, but wouldn't be surprised if Caprice comes back in for Carlisle. With it being a big pitch Caprice's pace can help get us up the pitch away from home.

I Could see MJ coming back in for Rowe on Saturday as well and Dieng playing back alongside Archie. Either way, good decisions for MT to have to make.

Grecian Max

So then...

After 1.5 excellent seasons and then a fairly quiet second half to last season, our club captain finds himself on the bench again. I think this a bit of a shame but not a surprise as MT is going to want more physicality and running in the middle this year and Jevani is the lead creative.

Has he peaked in 20/21 or do we think he'll bounce back as a a regular?

iscalad

So then...

After 1.5 excellent seasons and then a fairly quiet second half to last season, our club captain finds himself on the bench again. I think this a bit of a shame but not a surprise as MT is going to want more physicality and running in the middle this year and Jevani is the lead creative.

Has he peaked in 20/21 or do we think he'll bounce back as a a regular?
I epxpect him to start the next match.

Pobbop

It's a long season, he'll play a part. Brown is just better at what he does.