• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Pobbop

Even if MJ only scores 10 next season he will still be good value because most of his best work is unlocking defences in and around the 20 yard box. He's not a 1 trick pony or an out and out striker, he's a number 10 or attacking midfielder and shouldn't just be evaluated on his scoring return.
Oh I'm not saying he should be but the direct comparison made, was with Nicky Law, TBH 20 goals isn't bad for a player who isn't, as you rightly say, an out-and out scorer, and that is why he's no doubt attracting interest.

ExmouthMart

You shouldn’t be worrying about whether Matt Jay is a one season wonder. No you should be worried we are still stuck with Atangana in the team….. Matt Jay has been fantastic. Don’t understand knocking our best player by a country mile. Him and Randall are the only two game changers we have at the moment. So we better hope they are not sold to the first Club that matches our valuation.

Pobbop

You shouldn’t be worrying about whether Matt Jay is a one season wonder. No you should be worried we are still stuck with Atangana in the team….. Matt Jay has been fantastic. Don’t understand knocking our best player by a country mile. Him and Randall are the only two game changers we have at the moment. So we better hope they are not sold to the first Club that matches our valuation.
Every darned club in the World apart from Man City sell to a club that matches their valuation, are you just trolling.

ExmouthMart

Every darned club in the World apart from Man City sell to a club that matches their valuation, are you just trolling.
I don’t understand that comment. I am supporting Jay and what he brings to the team and what a loss he would be to the team.

Pobbop

I don’t understand that comment. I am supporting Jay and what he brings to the team and what a loss he would be to the team.
Fair enough.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's a strange way of writing!
If you're referring to my post I forgot to mention it was all from Devon Half-dead.
My bad.

Memphis09

The question should be here "why you think he'll get worse next year" in this division, I mean is there any reasoning to it, he has technical ability, he is now a goal-scorer. Look you can say a bloke is over-rated, I do myself, but what is the actual reason why Matt Jay will turn to plop next season, in your opinion, as I don't see one, unless you as Harris hints have an unreasonable dislike for him.

Loved Nicky Law BTW, but the chance of him scoring 20 goals in a season would seem remote, think he scored 18 in his entire time here, but different type players I'll admit
I hope I am proved wrong I want the best for city just don’t see it with him that’s all
If I am proved wrong and he has a good season and we get promoted then all well and good

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rashford just scored from the spot in this evening’s game…….has obviously been watching MJ lol.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rashford just scored from the spot in this evening’s game…….has obviously been watching MJ lol.
I was waiting for Rashford to Fosbury Flop the crossbar with that run up.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
May be bit premature and normally associated with aging players but when would MJ "qualify" for a testimonial year. With all the freedom of contract these are getting rarer to witness, used to be after ten years with one club, and with MJ 26 next birthday that could be next year, depending how you assess the starting date - when he left school, or when he signed his first professional contract.

Obviously the school leaver would be better for MJ as that would mean it would come sooner, and perhaps try to encourage his old macker Ollie to bring his Villa bussies down for a testimonial. Whereas if it's when he signed professionally then that would be a couple of years away and be open to a lot of imponderables - one, would he still be at the club.

The other thing is, allowing for his schoolboy years he has been at the club one helluva long time and shown a lot of patience in the interim