• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Memphis09

He's just scored 20 league goals and had the most assists in the division, he's still young at 25 and came through our famed academy. I'd want a minimum of 1m for him.
Reckon we would be lucky to get anywhere near that I would be amazed if we got half that far better players out there

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's just scored 20 league goals and had the most assists in the division, he's still young at 25 and came through our famed academy. I'd want a minimum of 1m for him.
Sorry to bring facts into it but MJ scored 18 league goals last season and 20 players, including Jake Taylor, had more assists than him.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
His value depends to a large degree on what his recently signed contract states. Im suspecting there is a release clause similar to Stockley therefore our ability to negotiate isn't then a factor. Of course in the negotiations between players agent and club there would be a big variation as the player wants a release clause as low as possible and the club as high as possible before compromise is reached. Given the club would have been very keen to tie MJ down to a new deal I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause that it isn't as high as we would like it to be? Let's hope no clause exists and he decides to stay
I haven't heard any suggestion of a release clause and was hoping they were a relic of the Tisdale-era.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry to bring facts into it but MJ scored 18 league goals last season and 20 players, including Jake Taylor, had more assists than him.
Sheet, need to check my facts before posting in future. OK, taking everyone's comments on board and the fact he didn't score 20 and wasn't the highest assist player in the division I will recalculate my valuation of him at 700k

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I haven't heard any suggestion of a release clause and was hoping they were a relic of the Tisdale-era.
They are common place in many contracts across many clubs they aren't an Exeter City thing

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They are common place in many contracts across many clubs they aren't an Exeter City thing
I know that but my point was that the 2 most notable examples of players leaving City after activating release clauses, JMT and Jayden, were both as a result of contracts signed towards the end of Tisdale's time as manager. Maybe I've missed it but I'm not aware of any players signed under Taylor having release clauses in their contract.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
evidence doesn't arise until the last throws of any deal. Matt Taylor is talking to dozens of agents simultaneously for buying and selling purposes. Some come through some dont but clubs dont advertise what's going on but people talk
thanks, noted. But the most I have seen is an MT interview saying that the only player other clubs would be interested in this summer is MJ, plus pages and pages of this thread discussing how much he is worth.

So is there anything more than that? Is there anything on social media? One poster said the race to sign MJ was between two named clubs but I can't see anything online (I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). Is this thread based on anything more?

You rightly say 'people talk' but who is talking? Is it just Exewebbers?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
thanks, noted. But the most I have seen is an MT interview saying that the only player other clubs would be interested in this summer is MJ, plus pages and pages of this thread discussing how much he is worth.

So is there anything more than that? Is there anything on social media? One poster said the race to sign MJ was between two named clubs but I can't see anything online (I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). Is this thread based on anything more?

I agree that there does seem to be a lack of definite rumours so far. And what is more, the Exeweb grapevine/ bush telegraph has been surprisingly reliable recently; eg Atangana and Bowman's contract extensions and the departures of Jake Taylor and Will Dean were mentioned on here long before they were officially confirmed.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

The person who told me works in football and knows the player. Not exeweb related

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Well done Matt