• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think part of Matt Jay must be looking at his old chum and contemporary Ollie Watkins and thinking, when do I get my break?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the sake of argument let's say he is on £1500 a week for us. If someone in a higher division offers a 3 year deal at say £2500 a week he will be off.
Quite, £78k/yr or £130k/yr to do the same job for a finite number of footballing years. You’d be mad not to take it really.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ has really shown his worth this season. Keeping Law out the team says a lot. He's been a slow burner and taken his time to reach this level but now he's found his feet he's really showing his quality and is improving at an alarming rate. He's too good for L2. Technically he's excellent and has added strength and stamina to his undoubted skills. His goals and assist stats make him one of the best players in the division. At 25 years old I'd value him at 1m plus.

logman

Matt Jay recently had an interview in the Football League Paper in which he said he wished to emulate Watkins, and move up the leagues. Obviously nearly all players wish to achieve that, but I think if anyone from League 1 comes calling he would seriously consider it. Think he is a very driven individual.
[/QUOT

IndoMike

Quite, £78k/yr or £130k/yr to do the same job for a finite number of footballing years. You’d be mad not to take it really.
But if he doesn't fit or does not come up to expectations it could turn into 2 years of misery.during his prime years..

tonykellowfan

But if he doesn't fit or does not come up to expectations it could turn into 2 years of misery.during his prime years..
Footballers don't think like that though. They assume that they will be a success at their new club.

We have to face facts though that if a top end L1 club game in for him with a decent wage offer he will go simple as that.

Banksy

Think part of Matt Jay must be looking at his old chum and contemporary Ollie Watkins and thinking, when do I get my break?
Absolutely , and why shouldn’t he? If he continues this rich vein of form until the end of the season I don’t think loyalty will come into it. He will look over his shoulder and think Ollie did it , why can’t I ?
Breaking through now could set him up for the rest of his playing career and he’s bright enough to know it.

Ash

For the sake of argument let's say he is on £1500 a week for us. If someone in a higher division offers a 3 year deal at say £2500 a week he will be off.
As we all know there are a few clubs in League Two who might consider paying 4k per week (or perhaps even more) for the right player. In League One I suspect 6k isn't out of the question for the biggest clubs. We're unlikely to offer much above 3k even if we were desperate to keep someone, so we're pretty easily outbid. That said, I can't see him going anywhere, for now at least.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
The same could be said in any job where you move for a better financial offer.
But in a short career you’d have to be very committed to turn down an opportunity that could see you double your salary.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay recently signed a new contract, he could have let his existing deal run down.

As a free agent either this summer or next he could have cashed in.

I would imagine his new deal is until the end of 2022 - 2023, as a result the club should be in a good position in terms of what happens.

Last edited: