• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Memphis09

Despite not being an out-and-out striker, MJ scored nine goals in the second half of last season. He's started two games this season. Give the guy a break!
I knew a few on here would disagree but it is a matter of opinion
I just don’t think he has been good for the last year wether he scores or not does mean he has always played well
Sorry if that upsets people a few but time will tell

Memphis09

Don’t understand the anti Jay tone of some on here. Not League One quality?!…… that is laughable! The Jay/Brown position is the only one where we have real quality. We have one striker with dodgy hamstrings and one central defender with dodgy knees who underpin the team. To make Jay some sort of scapegoat is a joke. The real issue is stepping up a League and being short squad wise. It’s not Jays fault that we have to play a certain way and when that doesn’t work we only have a muddly plan B. Also don’t think it did much for his confidence when the Manager said about a lack of quality on the bench……
Agree what you are saying about the two the Sams but if and I know it’s a big if we can keep them fit they are far far better than Jay
I am not making Jay out to be a scapegoat but I just don’t think he is league one standard
He is not the only one by the way if you look at Saturday performance there were certainly one or two who struggled
It’s early days yet and we have started well enough so let’s see where are after 15 games and who is playing regularly UTC

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I knew a few on here would disagree but it is a matter of opinion
I just don’t think he has been good for the last year wether he scores or not does mean he has always played well
Sorry if that upsets people a few but time will tell
I agree time will tell but just think it's rather early to write someone off on the back of a promotion-winning season in which they played a pivotal role and a mere two games at League Two level.

Did MJ underperform on Saturday? Yes. Did the majority of the team do likewise? Yes.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dare I suggest this video disproves the majority of your points:
⚽ All of Matt Jay's goals of 21/22 | Exeter City Football Club - YouTube
Not a player who can drive forward? At least a couple of the goals here involve MJ driving forward 30 or 40 yards before depositing the ball in the back of the net.

This video provides evidence of what MJ can do, what you've given us is opinion.
Yes, but that is partial evidence : not the whole picture. As I have said on a previous post, when I saw the video highlights of Atangana, I thought he was the next Patrick Vieira. Videos aren't totally representative.
I've already given my opinion and Am not persuaded by yours. I certainly didn't intend this to.be a Matty J- bashing argument.
Whatever our opinions are, Matt clearly thinks that Brown should be picked ahead of Matt Jay. It's up to MJ to prove KMT is wrong.

IndoMike

I agree time will tell but just think it's rather early to write someone off on the back of a promotion-winning season in which they played a pivotal role and a mere two games at League Two level.

Did MJ underperform on Saturday? Yes. Did the majority of the team do likewise? Yes.
You see, you're exaggerating the opposing opinion again. He hasn't been written off. Nobody has said get rid. Some of us are just pointing out obvious facts that Brown is ahead of Jay in the pecking order, there's nobody else in the team who he could replace, and he's got to work really hard to get back in again.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You see, you're exaggerating the opposing opinion again. He hasn't been written off. Nobody has said get rid. Some of us are just pointing out obvious facts that Brown is ahead of Jay in the pecking order, there's nobody else in the team who he could replace, and he's got to work really hard to get back in again.
You're rather overlooking the fact that MJ and Jevani started 40 matches together last season when, lest you forget, we got promoted.

They've started one match together thus far this season which saw us beat a very capable League One outfit 3-1.

And you reckon I'm the one who is overegging the pudding?!

IndoMike

You're rather overlooking the fact that MJ and Jevani started 40 matches together last season when, lest you forget, we got promoted.

They've started one match together thus far this season which saw us beat a very capable League One outfit 3-1.

So, who would you drop to make way for Matty J? Harry Kite or Dieng?

iscalad

[QUOTE="Egg, post:

[/QUOTE]
The clue is in your name.😀

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

I think you both have some valid points, and ultimately I don't think anyone can deny that MJ had a good season last year and the stats back that up with him starting 41 league games and scoring 14 goals.

I do think that MT has tweaked the system this year that will make it harder for MJ to be as regular a starter as last year though. Last year we played with two midfielders (Collins and Dieng) and then MJ as an attacking mid with Brown and Nombe up front. I don't think MT thinks we can play this way all the time this season and it seems he wants to play with 3 more orthodox midfielders and then Brown and Nombe up front. This is why Kite has found his way in, and the midfield 3 of Collins, Dieng and Kite certainly gives us more solidity in there. I think there will be games where MJ will certainly still play in there, but I don't think it will be as regular as last season. There will also be games where he may play in the Brown role with Nombe or Brown as his strike partner.

Either way he is certainly still a key member of the squad and important player for us.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, who would you drop to make way for Matty J? Harry Kite or Dieng?
Right now, I'm not suggesting dropping anyone [though, FWIW, Kite has been much better than Dieng thus far this season IMHO], less still that MJ has a divine right to be in the starting line-up. My point is merely that I, for one, am not gonna dismiss him as not up to this level on the basis of two appearances in League One.