Matt Jay

Rosencrantz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney was undone by having to take two in the same game [the second for a hat-trick].

Think he overthought whether he put it in the same place, missed, and his penalty taking was never the same again.
Although he has banged in a couple in penalty shoot outs since.

ECFC89

Well Watkins didn't go to League One did he.

No-one pretends that if a top club comes for him, like well Brentford he won't go, but again I don't really see any Division 3 club going for him, because the money isn't there, maybe Sunderland or Ipswich, but that's about it, don't see anyone else paying the money for players in that division, that happened in pre-covid times, and we are one of the few clubs who don't have to sell, well not desperately.
Agreed there's not many clubs looking to pay money, but we'd only get about 300,00 - 400,000 for him and that is not outside the realms of possibility for some teams.
Him being one of our own, at the age of 25, does not increase his value.

Martin Lawrence

Agreed there's not many clubs looking to pay money, but we'd only get about 300,00 - 400,000 for him and that is not outside the realms of possibility for some teams.
Him being one of our own, at the age of 25, does not increase his value.
I am not so sure. I know a talent scout who works in the game and he reckons that the ECFC name is worth a few quid extra, given our trusted pedigree.

dontpassback

I am not so sure. I know a talent scout who works in the game and he reckons that the ECFC name is worth a few quid extra, given our trusted pedigree.
I think our academy,along side the likes of crewe is held in high esteem,and even that lot down the road recognise that we are the model to follow,it may not e perfect but any youngster looking to get a start in the game wil surely be tempted to join us

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nah, we're building the team around him he won't be going anywhere. He's quite a niche player, so unless Taylor moves on and has him mind for a similar role, he'll stay here.

Martin Lawrence

I think our academy,along side the likes of crewe is held in high esteem,and even that lot down the road recognise that we are the model to follow,it may not e perfect but any youngster looking to get a start in the game wil surel
Nah, we're building the team around him he won't be going anywhere. He's quite a niche player, so unless Taylor moves on and has him mind for a similar role, he'll stay here.
I agree. I can't see him going anywhere for the foreseeable.

tonykellowfan

You have to factor in wages though. A club even in L1 could probably offer him a significant increase in pay and that could easily tempt him.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay strikes me as a bright level headed lad who loves playing football, some players are all about the £ and don't give a sheet about much else, I appreciate money will always talk however I think his experience of not playing and now playing regularly means a lot to him. I think he's just delighted to be playing every week and contributing to the team, perhaps that means more to him than an extra amount of cash each week. Also perhaps he loves living in Devon as well.

Just my thoughts.

tonykellowfan

For the sake of argument let's say he is on £1500 a week for us. If someone in a higher division offers a 3 year deal at say £2500 a week he will be off.