• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I recall on numerous occasions last season the opposition manager would identify MJ as a key player they needed to stop, even though a lot of the time he didn't end up starting.
Is he also one of the players whose partner is expecting? So he may be about to do a Sweenz?

andrew p long

With respect Mart - he hasn't been one of the "best players" at the club for at least 8 months, and has only had one good full season in his time with us, which was when no fans were in.

I like him, but he will struggle in L2. No shame in that at all.
Do you mean L1?

Grecian Max

Do you mean L1?
All those years, a habit 😂 I do yes

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I get the feeling that MJ is more effective playing off a big man such as Bowman, living off scraps and bibs and bobs. Matty J has got good anticipation and can sniff out goal chances, but he's not quite a fox in the box, not really a playmaker, and not a player who can drive forward.
I'd suggest MJ can sniff out goal chances and is a bit of a 'fox in the box', as his stats suggest, and, moreover, is a playmaker who can drive forward. There's plenty of evidence of this, but if you don't believe me I suggest you go back and watch his contribution to the annulled win over Bradford in last season's FA Cup replay.

IndoMike

I'd suggest MJ can sniff out goal chances and is a bit of a 'fox in the box', as his stats suggest, and, moreover, is a playmaker who can drive forward. There's plenty of evidence of this, but if you don't believe me I suggest you go back and watch his contribution to the annulled win over Bradford in last season's FA Cup replay.
You're making my post look extreme. It isn't. I did say he can sniff out chances and anticipate well Your reply implies that I didn"t. But he's not a true fox in the box - they spend a lot of time in the area. I also suggested that he would be more effective playing with the classic big striker - living off bits and pieces created by that striker.
I can agree to differ with your other points.
It is rather irritating when people read your post and then reply totally disregarding what you said.
The fact of the matter is that Matt clearly prefers Brown to Matt J at the moment, and as I said, Matt J will have to up his game to replace him.
PS. My comments are based on evidence, not emotion. Matt J is one of the hearts and souls of City, but that's not always enough

Last edited:

Memphis09

He lacks movement?! He’s one of the best players at the club. Don’t know where we would have been without him in the last couple of seasons. He’s obviously the odd one out because we are awash with physicality at City…….
Sorry don’t agree with you saying one of the best players at the club
May of been two seasons ago
Was poor second half of last season and looks out of his depth this season
In my opinion he is not just good enough for league one

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're making my post look extreme. It isn't. I did say he can sniff out chances and anticipate well Your reply implies that I didn"t. But he's not a true fox in the box - they spend a lot of time in the area. I also suggested that he would be more effective playing with the classic big striker - living off bits and pieces created by that striker.
I can agree to differ with your other points.
It is rather irritating when people read your post and then reply totally disregarding what you said.
The fact of the matter is that Matt clearly prefers Brown to Matt J at the moment, and as I said, Matt J will have to up his game to replace him.
PS. My comments are based on evidence, not emotion. Matt J is one of the hearts and souls of City, but that's not always enough
Dare I suggest this video disproves the majority of your points:
⚽ All of Matt Jay's goals of 21/22 | Exeter City Football Club - YouTube
Not a player who can drive forward? At least a couple of the goals here involve MJ driving forward 30 or 40 yards before depositing the ball in the back of the net.

This video provides evidence of what MJ can do, what you've given us is opinion.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry don’t agree with you saying one of the best players at the club
May of been two seasons ago
Was poor second half of last season and looks out of his depth this season
In my opinion he is not just good enough for league one
Despite not being an out-and-out striker, MJ scored nine goals in the second half of last season. He's started two games this season. Give the guy a break!

ExmouthMart

Don’t understand the anti Jay tone of some on here. Not League One quality?!…… that is laughable! The Jay/Brown position is the only one where we have real quality. We have one striker with dodgy hamstrings and one central defender with dodgy knees who underpin the team. To make Jay some sort of scapegoat is a joke. The real issue is stepping up a League and being short squad wise. It’s not Jays fault that we have to play a certain way and when that doesn’t work we only have a muddly plan B. Also don’t think it did much for his confidence when the Manager said about a lack of quality on the bench……

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite not being an out-and-out striker, MJ scored nine goals in the second half of last season. He's started two games this season. Give the guy a break!
And has one goal already - don't give the crap that CU FC use either that it was their reserve team. There are no reserve teams now it's all about squads with the five subs and they did the rotation like we did!