• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
MJ's league record now is 31 goals in 85 appearances (55 starts, 30 sub). Under that 1in 3 ratio benchmark. His record since the start of last season in all comps is 24 goals in 56 appearances.

From what was a slow burn start in terms of goalscoring, it's really shows patience and hard work paying off for both MJ and the coaching staff.

Pobbop

Matt Jay recently had an interview in the Football League Paper in which he said he wished to emulate Watkins, and move up the leagues. Obviously nearly all players wish to achieve that, but I think if anyone from League 1 comes calling he would seriously consider it. Think he is a very driven individual.
Well Watkins didn't go to League One did he.

No-one pretends that if a top club comes for him, like well Brentford he won't go, but again I don't really see any Division 3 club going for him, because the money isn't there, maybe Sunderland or Ipswich, but that's about it, don't see anyone else paying the money for players in that division, that happened in pre-covid times, and we are one of the few clubs who don't have to sell, well not desperately.

Colesman Ballz

MJ's league record now is 31 goals in 85 appearances (55 starts, 30 sub). Under that 1in 3 ratio benchmark. His record since the start of last season in all comps is 24 goals in 56 appearances.

From what was a slow burn start in terms of goalscoring, it's really shows patience and hard work paying off for both MJ and the coaching staff.
It has helped his figures to have become our regular penalty taker, although of course you still have to score them !

Pobbop

It has helped his figures to have become our regular penalty taker, although of course you still have to score them !

Love his pens me, actually think it's probably a bit of a selling point. Ridiculous fuss here about one of his pens he clearly mishit a bit just crawling over the line, but he still darned scored which I always thought was the point of penalties.

Pobbop

darned such a lovely word, I approve of the editing.

Rosencrantz

Shearer, Ronaldo, Messi, Rowbotham, Kellow...if you're good at them, you stay on and benefit. It's what makes Jayden's record all the more remarkable as I think he only had one penalty in his time here I think.

I noted from MJ's interview that Ryan is putting pressure on him to keep scoring them or else 😁

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney was banging them in one season and it nearly took him into double figures !

IndoMike

Sweeney was a good penalty - taker until he missed one, then other misses came along like buses. Penalties are all about confidence . At the mo Jay has that.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney was a good penalty - taker until he missed one, then other misses came along like buses. Penalties are all about confidence . At the mo Jay has that.
Sweeney was undone by having to take two in the same game [the second for a hat-trick].

Think he overthought whether he put it in the same place, missed, and his penalty taking was never the same again.

IndoMike

Sweeney was undone by having to take two in the same game [the second for a hat-trick].

Think he overthought whether he put it in the same place, missed, and his penalty taking was never the same again.
It was a shame he wasn't successful and didn't get that hat- trick.
Confidence and psychology play a big part.
When Alonso took that penalty that I mentioned above you could see he looked nervous. If you worry too.much about missing then you might well miss. As you say, overthinking can kill.
If Matt misses one he will surely have that on his mind the next time he takes one